Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the woodworking world as I venture mostly in metalworking where a bigger hammer always fixes it, lol

I have a live edge Maple slab that I plan on turning into a live edge side table with hairpin metal legs and need your opinion on the top. It appears that the slab has some drying cracks that run throughout the top of the slab but don't run all the way to the bottom. This has been stored in the garage for a few years so I believe it is not going to crack anymore and are very small 1/8". I plan on getting the moister % before working on it.

I have yet to do anything and looking for some feedback on the finish and general look. I am planning on putting on clear poly but what would you do? Leave it as be, fill with clear epoxy, fill with contrast (black, brown) epoxy, fill with glue/sawdust, etc.

Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
Looks like checking to me. Not unusual during drying to get some checking, although this is more than most slabs. Perhaps not the best moisture control during drying.

Let this sit in your shop to reach closer to your shop moisture level.

If the checks are superficial and do not change, I would leave them. Look to be too small to get epoxy in the cracks. Too many to use CA glue due to the expense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like checking to me. Not unusual during drying to get some checking, although this is more than most slabs. Perhaps not the best moisture control during drying.

Let this sit in your shop to reach closer to your shop moisture level.

If the checks are superficial and do not change, I would leave them. Look to be too small to get epoxy in the cracks. Too many to use CA glue due to the expense.
Thanks I will let it sit in the shop before I start to work in it. I think you are right in that it is chcking as it was in the sun with rain when first cut

1 - 4 of 4 Posts