Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like it that not the color so much but your bro did a good job mimicing a live edge, what kind of joinery did ya use there on the legs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it that not the color so much but your bro did a good job mimicing a live edge, what kind of joinery did ya use there on the legs.
Thanks< I know not everyone will like the color choice, but the customer is always right. I never got a good pic of it finished; the customer came to pick it up right when I finished it.

As regards the joinery the legs are canted at 10* and swayed to match each edge (hard to see in the pic). I attached with dominos.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Also not a fan of the color/finish.
I've done a lot of live edge coffee tables, and some with a 15 deg splay to the legs. The look is good.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Some may not like the color of the finish, but you did a great job giving them what they wanted. How do you go about doing the grain fill? I really like the effect.

Also, how's the new shop treating you? Appears to be up and running well!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some may not like the color of the finish, but you did a great job giving them what they wanted. How do you go about doing the grain fill? I really like the effect.

Also, how's the new shop treating you? Appears to be up and running well!
First of all the grain fill is done in steps.

1. Whatever stain or none, then seal with lacquer or shellack ( must be sprayed). A light coat.
2. use a grain filler (oil based) in a neutral color, this allows you to tint the fill. I used aluminum bronze powder. But you can use any oil based pigment (i.e. artist oils) to make which ever color you want.

3. wipe off clean. with burlap or i have used whatever gets the finish off. Burlap works great so does carpet pad that is wool based.
4. Seal with a lacquer topcoat.

Thanks for the mention about the shop I will post pics, when I can. Its looking great, I think its the best shop to date. We only need to finish the dc and then work on getting windows, winter is coming soon..:cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts