Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some of the drill/driver kits being offered on sale at Home Depot and Amazon. I like the weight and feel of all brands but the Milwaukee set feels the best. My concern is the "baby" 1.5 MA batteries. Does anyone here own a drill with one of these batteries? Are you happy with the run time you're getting and the recharging time. Thanks for any comments. Don

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have several of the M12 tools and have never found them to be lacking in home shop use. They seem to have as much life and power as any 12V Nicad or NiMH set I've used.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I've been looking at some of the drill/driver kits being offered on sale at Home Depot and Amazon. I like the weight and feel of all brands but the Milwaukee set feels the best. My concern is the "baby" 1.5 MA batteries. Does anyone here own a drill with one of these batteries? Are you happy with the run time you're getting and the recharging time. Thanks for any comments. Don
I've got the Makita set, drill & impact, with the 18 V, 1.5 Ah batteries and they have been sufficient for my use; DIY/hobby woodworking. The thing about LiOn batteries is they don't slooowly go down. The tool works decent right up until the battery needs charged. Not a real big deal as the Makita's will recharge in 20 min or less. I also don't usually purposely let them run down. If I am starting a fairly extensive project, I charge them up before I start.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have the Milwaukee with 1.5 MA batteries .
I'm in construction and have in many occasions used it for screwing down multiple flooring sheets , and for bracing ply sheeting diaphragm on roofs.
I've not thought to time the battery run , not felt the need . I do know that they go longer than the other brands that my workmates carry.
In three years I have never outpaced the battery charger , and the batteries have kept up receiving full charge .
Each battery has a push button charge level indicator , a 'fuel gauge' as it were , and very handy it is too .

The lighter weight of the 1.5's take the strain out of what could otherwise be long arduous work days .

In my opinion Milwaukee make top drills and batteries .

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have had the white Makita 18v Li Ion set for 4 years now. I've used them for hobby work and for the occasional construction work. The batteries last, and recharge fast. I am pleased with them.

They are a bit lighter than the Milwaukee set. Another consideration is the Ridgid set for the same price. Last I saw all three are $199 at Home Depot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had a few different sets over the years and even recently. I had the makita 1.5 drill and driver then got the small circular saw and sawzall. With those to additions you need the higher amp battery so I got one then decided to sell off my 1.5 set and get a 3.0 set so now I have two drills two drivers and the two saws and 4 3.0 batteries not the I have ever needed more than two lol needless to say I really like them all and use them more than any tools I own. I am more in construction type work than woodworking. Never had an issue with any of these tools.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I think I can make a decision now using all that you've said about the drill's performance. I have a beast of a 12 volt Ridgid that I bought several years on special with 3 battery chargers and 2 batteries. Over the years 2 chargers and one battery have conked out, My Porter Cable 14.4 volt is going strong but one battery has gone bad. My Makita driver/drill set is working fine and I have two good batteries. My old joints just cry out for something lighter. I'm thinking about getting one of the $199 sets that HD has and giving some of my others to my grandson and maybe a friend. I bought a Ridgid 6 1/2" circular saw Sunday so I'll soon know how that works out. Way way lighter than my all metal Craftsman from 1967 that still works like a new one but soon I'll need help to pick it up.
The Ridgid with the lifetime service warranty is tempting:yes::yes:
Thanks again. Don

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
When DeWalt came out with their 12 volt lithium line, I bought the 3/8 drill. I was so impressed with the quality and run time that I bought the driver about 4 months later.

There are a couple of things with lithium. When the battery is depleted it is depleted. You'll drill a hole just fine and then start the next one when the battery expires. No real warning like the older battery technology.

Be careful with the chargers. Some brands (I can only speak for DeWalt) allow the batteries to remain in the charger until needed. This is a HUGE convenience. When it is time, you just swap the depleted battery with a fresh one. The battery can stay in the charger long after it is charged without harm or danger. While other brands may have it, DeWalt has pioneered the smart charger technology. This is something that should be considered before buying any cordless product.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
When DeWalt came out with their 12 volt lithium line, I bought the 3/8 drill. I was so impressed with the quality and run time that I bought the driver about 4 months later.

There are a couple of things with lithium. When the battery is depleted it is depleted. You'll drill a hole just fine and then start the next one when the battery expires. No real warning like the older battery technology.

Be careful with the chargers. Some brands (I can only speak for DeWalt) allow the batteries to remain in the charger until needed. This is a HUGE convenience. When it is time, you just swap the depleted battery with a fresh one. The battery can stay in the charger long after it is charged without harm or danger. While other brands may have it, DeWalt has pioneered the smart charger technology. This is something that should be considered before buying any cordless product.
I also have the Dewalt 12v Li drill/driver set. The set came with a third battery which stays in the charger ready to go. I use them daily. The batteries last a long time. I would assume the 18v models are even more powerful but the ones I have work great - going on two years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts