Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using linseed oil for the first time.
I applied the oil and have let it dry.
I am using maple.
Is it possible, without getting ill effects, to sand the LSO then spray with a lacquer top coat? Or will the linseed oil react with the lacquer? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your input in advance, and sorry if this question has been answered a million times on the app, I couldn't find the answer when I searched the previously posted material.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Have used a lot of lacquer, but never tried that.
I've always been told you can use lacquer underneath anything, but not the other way around.
Worst that can happen is you strip it with lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
When dry linseed oil doesn't normally affect lacquer. Its in all oil based stains however using the linseed oil without thinning it I would let it dry 24 hours in warm weather before topcoating. It's water based polyurethane that doesn't react well to linseed oil. Then a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac is recommended.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You're good to go as long as the BLO is cured. Most stuff can be applied to the top of cured BLO. I usually wait a little longer before applying a waterborne top coat.

Reactions: Okietoker

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Did you wipe off the excess linseed oil after letting it sit on the surface for 15-20 minutes. If not there could be a problem. It's always a good practice to test your complete finishing schedule on some scrap from your project or in an inconspicuous spot. It's the only way to know how it will look and how the finish will react.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.