Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am building a mobile cart for a marching band, that will hold various pieces of electronic equipment - including a synthesizer on the top. It's going to be fairly big, and I want to keep the overall weight down as best I can. I've attached a drawing that will give you an idea of the rear of the cart, where the musician will stand while playing an 88-key keyboard that will sit on the top, left side.

The rack mounted equipment (right side) will utilize rack rails such as these: Racks and Cabinets - Wall Mount Racks - Vertical Rack Rails - NavePoint .

I'm wondering if the carcass of this beast can be built out of structural insulated panels (SIPs) to keep the weight down. I'd make them myself by sandwiching 1/2" foam insulation panels between 1/4" sanded ply and 1/4" or 3/8" OSB, with the strongest construction adhesive I can find.

Thoughts / other ideas are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

BG

· where's my table saw?
32,666 Posts
I'm wondering if the carcass of this beast can be built out of structural insulated panels (SIPs) to keep the weight down. I'd make them myself by sandwiching 1/2" foam insulation panels between 1/4" sanded ply and 1/4" or 3/8" OSB, with the strongest construction adhesive I can find.
By the time you sandwich a 1/2" foam panel between two 1/4" sheets, you may as well just egg crate it with 3/4" inside. A torsion box sorta.
You will want structure all the way around for attachment.
I'd look into aluminum extrusions which will give more strength and resistance to road shock.
Like this:

The weight will be supported on the wheels so that minimizes the effort.
The wheels should be semi-pneumatic, not solid and as large as possible to reduce rolling resistance.
Consider 18" bicycle wheels. I have an old 3 wheel child stroller and it practically rolls on it's own accord.

Mount all the electronics on shock absorbing cushions rather than attaching directly to the structure.
It should have a waterproof cover that's flips up easily in the event of a storm.
Or a hood that covers ,most of the keyboard. Experienced keyboard players don't need to see all of the keys!
Will there be a need to read sheet music? If so, how will that be secured and still be viisible?

Reactions: bruce.gettel

· Registered
724 Posts
One time use? I suppose the cart will be towed by a vehicle, (4 wheeler?). Why not build the carcass onto a 12' single axle (decorated, curtain draped?) trailer? ..... similar to a small parade float.

Sonny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts