Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished turning this today and wanted a top for it but couldn't make up my mind what to use. The lid is spalted sycamore? maybe? I can't remember it was in a pile unmarked. The bowl is tulip poplar and the clunky finial is walnut. Still needs clear but other than that it is done.

Little bit of end grain tear out but I can live with it considering how this stuff turns.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I like it. The finial may be clunky but it works well with the overall look of the piece.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is a super nice piece.Do you find it hard to make the lids I have not had the guts to try one yet.It looks a little out of my range still.I wish you could give me some lessons on doing boxes.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
shape

Does have a nice shape to it would look really nice if you could get the end grain tearout out if you use a oil finist you can wet sand it with that finish and it will probably come out otherwise nice job
Jerry

·
Registered
996 Posts
Very nice! I like the final on there. I think the whole piece has a good shape to it.

And the pictures look great! IMO it's well worth the effort you guys put into making your own photo booths. You can deffinitly tell the difference in the quality of the photos.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You did a good job. I like the character in the wood from the spalting.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Lovely bowl! The finial goes well with the whole bowl and makes a great contrast to the spalted pieces. Like those pretty grains and colors. Great job!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts