Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I have a ridgid 13" thickness planer. Last weekend I was planing some boards and discovered that the planer is not "level" so to speak.

By this I mean that I would plane on the right side of the planer, on the second pass, I would plane on the left side. Doing this without any thickness adjustment, it would take off additional material.

I hope I have explained this clearly as I am looking for so advice for resolution. I am sure it's out there.

Thanks in advance

Johnny

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the blades are worn down more on the one side. Usually best when plaining boards is to feed it in different locations of the planer.
Dominick, thanks for the response. Thing is I have used the blades maybe twice after replacing them new.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Ridgid planers come with a knife depth-setting gauge, attached to machine.
If blades are worn so bad theyare not "straight" anymore, re-sharpen or replace and use gauge to set them back in cutter head which should be parallel with planer bed.
Mine also came with spare blade hidden under hinged bed extension.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
From what you are saying I would suspect alignment. You may not have sufficiently tightened one (or more) blades the last time you had them out.

George

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which model is it? I just bought an older TP13002. I think R4331 is the current model.

RD - TP13000

Ridgid planers come with a knife depth-setting gauge, attached to machine.
If blades are worn so bad theyare not "straight" anymore, re-sharpen or replace and use gauge to set them back in cutter head which should be parallel with planer bed.

BZGUY - I think that the cutter head may be the issue as the blades are fairly new.

From what you are saying I would suspect alignment. You may not have sufficiently tightened one (or more) blades the last time you had them out.

GeorgeC - I will check that as well.

bzguyRidgid planers come with a knife depth-setting gauge, attached to machine.

All - forgive me. Just realized that I asked this question before and never followed through on the advice provided by Steve Nuel.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/rigid-thickness-planer-not-even-need-advice-42493/

This shows I haven't been doing enough wood working.

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Issue Resolved

Appears the threaded rods were out of sync. Enough to give close to an 1/8 of an inch difference across the width of the bed. This was suggested by Steve Neul and I finally got to checking in on it. Took care of it tonight.

Thanks to all the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts