Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an extensive search on scroll saws, not many discussions here, so ...who has one, and what do you like or dislike about it?

Looking for one in the <$200 range, can't quite afford the Excalibur yet! Shop Fox W171, and the Craftsman 16" (21602) are contenders, but leery of some of the reviews. HF out due to some reviews.

What say, recommend me one.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 30" Excalibur and also a dewalt 788. If you want something that will last, I would keep a eye out for a used dewalt or RBI scrollsaw. You might run across one on craigslist for around your price range. The better quality ones like these ones are noticeable if you do a lot of scrolling. If you're just going to use it occasionally pick up one of the cheaper ones like at lowes. I started with a delta scrollsaw but it didn't have a long lifespan. Every time a blade broke on it , it just about gave me a heart attack! :) Using good quality blades makes life easier with them, though. Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got a 24" craftsman(1950's model, King-Seely manufactured). I like it a lot. The large throat allows for large work, and it's got enough push to cut thick stock. I keep mine on a cart at a 12(ish) degree angle which allows better line-of-sight. At the moment, I'm not doing a ton of scroll work, but that'll likely change soon.

WCT

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting - I had already watched it some time ago, along with a couple of others you did - all well done! :thumbsup: I start drooling every time I see one of those Excaliburs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts