Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always interested in seeing how folks get their board foot loads to the shop. I'll start...

I had a compact truck for 10 years I bought new, and beat it like a 1/2 ton. I used it for much more than woodworking. Then after building a rig to haul home 10 8' sheets of plywood for the shop (in a 6' bed) and a 190 mile trip to a from a sawmill with 200bdft on the trip back, even my wife said that I needed something bigger.

So... Here's my wood hauler and delivery truck for finished items.

Yes, it is parked in the shop. My shop is mainly used as a garage. That's living in the City.

It's been an excellent wood hauler, espcially driving to the sawmill and back with ease. (Wife even reclines the seat and naps) The major advantage to this truck is the 8' bed, which means hauling home 8' plywood is very easy. (Close the gate!) Strapping down boards that are 10' to 16' is very easy and they stay in place and not cause excessive bounce with the truck.

As I said, I also do other things around the house or helping out with our Church, and this truck has stood up to the challenge and performed exceptionally.

OK... Your turn! :icon_cheesygrin:

Tom

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Here's my work rig. I also drive the truck for everything else. I love having the trailer. You can haul lots of stuff and it's out of the weather plus you don't have to strap it in.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Here is mine. I get my lumber a little less finished than some ;). I haul it over to my sawmill and make it, the little piece of log on the mill was 300 bft of curly maple.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Most of my "lumber" (logs) is delivered, like the 4 ton log in the picture that I am working on with a chainsaw to even get it to fit the mill (it was 38" x 16', same curly maple that is on the mill picture after I whittled it down some). I do have to fetch one every once in a great while, so I made this little rig. It has an electric winch on the tounge and I throw the cable over the arch to get the end lifted on the back of the "Urban log recovery unit". Then I straight hook the log and pull it on, there is a roller on the back to help. I strap it down and off I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to see several full-size trucks. As for the Bobcat and the other rig (not sure what to call that)... Very cool! (I don't get to play with those toys since I'm in the City.)

On another forum, a similar thread was discussed and I showed off my truck. Someone responded to me that I can do everything I need with a Honda Ridgeline. (Most of the members there have small trucks.) I said that the Ridgeline would not pull a trailer and did not have the in-bed capacity I need for Woodworking as well as landscaping, pavers (and 3/4 minus chat & sand), debris haul-a-way, and other pretty heavy task. His next statement was "I wouldn't do that stuff with my truck." :eek: I said "With a Ridgeline, I guess not."

BTW: What is that rig carrying a log to that trailer called?

Tom

·
Registered
714 Posts
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 HD/5.7 Hemi/Quad Cab/4x4
2007 Haulmark 8.5' x 16', 5 ton capacity​

·
Registered
404 Posts
BTW: What is that rig carrying a log to that trailer called?

Tom
That's my friend Gary's forwarder...The truck and trailer are mine....;) ;) The forwarder picks and hauls the cut logs to the log landing. He also has a harvestor that grabs the trees cuts them off, delimbs them and cuts them in 100" lengths

That forwarder is articulated 6 wheel drive and steel tracked....It could run over a Ridgeline and then pick it up , haul it around and then dump it in my trailer....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
It has all the windows in this picture....Sometimes the guy inside get's ta pickin' up logs and looses control..:blink: :blink: :blink: It don't take much for that clam ta pop out that back window.....:yes: :yes: It's hard for the heater ta keep up then.....:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks...Yeah, pretty happy with it. If it would get 4-5 more mpg's, I'd be happier.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks...Yeah, pretty happy with it. If it would get 4-5 more mpg's, I'd be happier.
Ya know what they say about havin' yer cake and eatin' it too.....:laughing: :laughing:

My truck is white just like yours....only mine was black a few days ago..:huh: :huh: :huh:

The county must have too much salt and had to get rid of a bunch....:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tommy, you call that a shop? Where's the sawdust????
I wish I could keep mine that clean.

Nice ride/hauler, I've been eyeing a new truck for a long time. I have a full size truck, but it's only a 6 cyclinder and only has a 6' bed. I couldn't get it started yesterday, so I thought it was time for my new toy, but eventually got it going--don't know what the issue was.

Here's the handiest thing I own in regard to hauling long boards; http://www.racknroad.com/detail.aspx?ID=1118

It makes my 6' bed about 11'. I can carry 12' all the time, 16' without too much problem, and I've even carried 20' in a pinch, but wouldn't recomend it. :no:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
C&D Woodcraft. Tommy, you call that a shop? Where's the sawdust????
I wish I could keep mine that clean.

Yeah... I get that allot... It does get dusty though... Shadow is sitting in a pile here...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I've been eyeing that truck for some time and the LOML knew it. She eventually agreed that it was needed (the reclining seats were a big sell) and I upgraded from a Ranger to a F-250. Some upgrade eh? :laughing: BTW: That's a 2004 model. Just before they changed it.

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts