Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just thought I'd share some lessons I learned while working with reclaimed heart pine that was old when your grandpappy was in diapers.

Lesson #1 - Don't try to chisel out hinge mortises by hand... you might as well be trying to cut steel with a wood chisel... use a router for most of it and the chisel to just clean it up.

Lesson #2 - Never use a brad nailer to nail into narrow pieces of heart pine... the brad will curve and shoot out the side :censored:

·
Banned
310 Posts
Now exactly where you are coming from, brought and renovated an old house built with 2"x4" studs ( full sized). Found out why Pine is classed as a hard wood.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A lack of velocity is one of the reasons for brads to go off course. Too low air pressure is one of the several culprits possible. Google has some good information on the subject.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lack of velocity is one of the reasons for brads to go off course. Too low air pressure is one of the several culprits possible. Google has some good information on the subject.
I was running the nail gun at 100psi... maybe I should have gone to 120 the guns max pressure :eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Watch your fingers. That hurts when your holding two pieces together and the nail or pin follows the grain and gets ya.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If I may......
My addition to the heart pine forum is that about sanding.
Buy paper by the bushel or get a good scraper plane/card scraper.
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts