Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my interpretation of a rhyton. Base is a off cut of African Rosewood ( Guiboirtia coleosperma) Rhyton is Transvaal beech (Faurea saligna ) The beech tree was destroyed by fire on a friends game farm. The holes are made by a flat white worm / larva of the metallic beetle Buprestidae. The horn is from a male Impala antelope obtained in a barter trade for some turnings .The Lappetfaced vulture head is a resin casting. Sizes are : Rhyton 12” ( 305mm ) high 3 1/8” at widest (80mm) base 7 7/8” square.( 200mm) 2” thick and finish is 5 layers shellac and 2 coats satin lacquer Thanks for looking all C&C welcome
Lenakana Means small horn in Sotho one of the languages spoken in South Africa

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
that looks truly amazing man... I love your stuff! I think Ive admired every piece youve put up on here... What kind of hollowing system do you use on these tall pieces? happy turnin,
Bond

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for posting Tambotie, another excellent piece. :thumbsup:

I had to go back and look at the first lenakana and rhyton piece you posted.

Both very creative. I love the way you make the horn look like a natural part of the pieces. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks David Paine and Bond 3737 for your comments really appreciated. Bond I use Rolly Munro and some scarpers made from a shock shaft on to which I can attach HSS pieces I cut and grind for my needs. Regards Roger

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I've been admiring this since you posted--can't come up with a sufficient statement that shows my feeling as to how good/creative it looks. I'm REALLY impressed. Keep'em coming!
Dave H

·
Registered
656 Posts
Beautiful work of art! Like the combination of different materials and they actually go well together. Great creativity and imagination, great work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts