Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on building my first real work bench. I would like to put a leg vice on it and I don't like the idea of a rail with a bunch of holes in in, that you stick a pin in the right one. Is their a better way for about 50 dollars.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Make a saddle pin board. Top part would have a stud dowel for locking onto the bench top; hanging side would have a string of holes for another dowel.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Do what I did. If I'd had to buy the materials I think it would have been less than $10.

1) Cut two pieces of 1x2 stock to the length of the vise screw plus the front-to-back thickness of the bench leg. Cut another section to match the width of your vise chop.

2) Take a piece of aluminum bar stock 1/8" thick, and drill two holes in it. Screw it to the back of the bench leg where your vise will go. Make sure it reaches 3/4" out to each side of the vise chop, which should be roughly the width of the bench leg at the base.

3) Cut notches 1/8" wide by 3/16" deep (give or take) every 3/4" along the length of the two long pieces of 1x2.

4) Attach the leg vise to the bench, screw the two 1x2 pieces to the vise chop so they slide along the edges of the bench leg, notches down, and screw the remaining piece of 1x2 in between them under the bench. In the end, it should look like this:

vise base by a_mckenzie_4, on Flickr

vise-bottom 01 by a_mckenzie_4, on Flickr

It was quick and easy to build, and it has worked reliably for a few years. To adjust the base of the vise, just stick your toe under the long 1x2, lift, and let the vise swing until it's straight up and down. Take your toe out, and lightly kick the bottom of the chop to make sure the 1x2 pieces have seated on the aluminum bar. Takes about three seconds longer than just adjusting the vise would.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ah, now I understand what you're asking. Here's how I made my old one from 1968(?) and still being used. Sorry for the pic quality, taken with my phone.
It's a piece of aluminum scrap with a few slots and a toe paddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts