Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a cordless drill that is at least somewhat left hander friendly. I have used several of the name brands and they all have the same cross body switch above the trigger. It only takes a slight bump with the index finger knuckle (left hand) to put them in neutral. Since the switches are moved to the left to cause the drill to run clockwise (righty/tighty) this is not an issue for right handers. The problem really shows up for lefties when working over head or tight places. Very aggravating when you have a 5/8" by 12' sheet of drywall over your head and the drill is in neutral.:censored:

Before you answer here are some of my considerations.

1. 18 volt preferably

2. I am 48 , left handed since birth, and can't and won't switch to right handed for a number of reasons.

3. If your answer is, "just get used to the right handed switch", save your time. I have already tried for years. It ain't happening.

Most cordless drills when new are much harder to accidentally bump to the neutral position. That is short lived especially with the amount of use I give a cordless drill.

I notice the new Metabo tools don't appear to have the over the trigger switch but don't know of anywhere in Alaska to see one. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Mart

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got a kawasaki 19.2 volt drill from costco for $40 to use as a secondery drill - I almost use it more than my good one, it's alot lighter and it works pretty well.
The thing is, it's made opposite from all the other drills - when you push the slider to the right (from the left side of the drill) it goes in (forward, clockwise etc) - and vica versa!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This ain't much help but my 4.8v Makita cordless has the F/R switch on the back of the drill, directly above where my hand sits. FWIW, I'm ambidextrous when drilling/driving, sawing, and using a wrench or screwdriver and I've never thought about the difference. Now, having read this thread, I wonder if I will from now on. *LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
I just got the Makita 18V Compact. It is a Li-Ion battery. The switch is the same and in the same position but it seems to be pretty stiff. I don't know how long it will stay like that but I don't think you will accidentally move it the way it is now (new). Reversing the wiring of the switch sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never thought about reversing the wires.:icon_redface: What a maroon I am. I have an older 9V Makita with the switch on the back and I love it. It is pretty gutless on long screws though hence wanting an 18V that is lefty friendly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have 2 Milwaulkees both 18volt one is 3/8 and the other is 1/2. All I know is I use them both alot for work and home. I am right handed anduse it lefty also depening on the spot I am in and not having a choice but to use it lefty. I never had a problem itting the switch while drilling. The only time I had it reverse was if I hit it to do so. I had a dewalt and hated it. Plus the Milwaulkee enables you to turn the battery around to make it easier on your hand, wrist ,arm ect. for when you are doing alot of drilling. Check them out , I wouldnt buy another brand after having these. O i also have a Craftsman 18 volt and needless to say that hasnt seen the light of day from its case for a long time. If I am drilling in a tight spot and the chuck rubs it loosen the bit everytime. plus the battery doesnt seem to last as long as the Milwaulkee 2 amp hour battery. Hope this helps you out.

·
Top Dog
22 Posts
I am also a southpaw and a DeWalt DW899(I think) works wonders for me, index finger can easily hit rev, while thumb shifts to fwd., perfect balance and meets all my needs so far as power, e-z change, and durability, easily meets all my requirements, from mixing paint/mud, sheet rock instal, decking screws, and high torque job work>>bonus, hammer drill as well.
________
NO2 VAPORIZER

·
Registered
77 Posts
South Paws unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

I gotta tell you lefties, I think we should all form a union of some kind and put pressure on tool manufactures to think about us more often during their R&D! :furious:
I have a pair of those orange colored platic molded sissors made for lefthanded people and they are my most coveted tool of all!!:thumbsup:
When I see my kids reaching for them all hell breaks loose in my house!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts