Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Since this is a wood turning forum, I can't believe that you need to use a strop.
I do, as a carver. My actions are slow and I might want a glass-like smoothness to the surface.
Since your wood is spinning, moving at speed, surface finesse seems unwaranted.

I would finish your tools with 1500grit, maybe 4K waterstone to try to impress you with pretty.
What keeps you at the lathe? Huh?
As a little note added in proof, I maintain 16 pcs full size Sorby lathe tools for the owner.
Paying it forward to the day I want to do some turning. He likes my edges.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But guys, I don't use a grinder. I use a belt sander with 320 or finer grit. I am trying to get very smooth cuts. When I start sanding I start with 220 grit now and I would like to do better.

Jack

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
When I start sanding I start with 220 grit now and I would like to do better.
Yikes! :blink: Normally I have to start at 100 or 120; on a bad day 80 and on a really really good day 150 or 180.
The only tool I strop (power) is the skew to remove the wire edge from honing.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I really don't hone that often except for the skew. I grind on a 180 grit CBN wheel and i'm experimenting with a 320 grit sanding belt. I don't hone afterwords. Sometimes I will for a final few passes if the wood is being a problem. I never use the strop on my gouges. I will touch up the skew with it every few minutes if it takes it to do that type of wood. Most of the time it's sharp enough straight off my 1200 grit diamond hone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.