Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the very well written articles by KnottScott, I am pretty certain that I would like to find a small(ish) contractor saw. The things that appeal to me would be the belt drive and the induction motor, and the (somewhat) larger table.

I would also appreciate the standard size miter gauge slot and the ability to upgrade the fence at some point.

Are there affordable (say, under $250 used) good quality contractor saws out there you can point me to? Maybe one that is even on the (slightly) smaller size?

Unfortunately, don't really have the room to have a larger cabinet style saw (I don't think). So those big craftsman saws that sell for $50 to $100 on craigslist are probably NOT in my future.

Any sheet goods I would tackle with my circular saw.

Modern safety equipment (splitter / riving knife and anti-kickback pawls, and blade guard) would be a must.

(sorry if this has been asked a million times before.)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts: items like a riving knife is a later addition to most saws, finding a used one with that may be a challenge. The splitter/guards/pawls usually came with most saws, and probably have been misplaced over the years. So if you look at used ones keep that in mind. As for footprint, you might find a cabinet saw actually has a smaller net footprint, since the motor isn't hanging out the back. That said, there are good saws out there in your price range, but patience is the key.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
After reading the very well written articles by KnottScott, I am pretty certain that I would like to find a small(ish) contractor saw. The things that appeal to me would be the belt drive and the induction motor, and the (somewhat) larger table.

I would also appreciate the standard size miter gauge slot and the ability to upgrade the fence at some point.

Are there affordable (say, under $250 used) good quality contractor saws out there you can point me to?

i'm sure there are.

Maybe one that is even on the (slightly) smaller size?

hopefully you're not thinking about one of those newer version craftsman direct drive POS benchtop saws?

Unfortunately, don't really have the room to have a larger cabinet style saw (I don't think). So those big craftsman saws that sell for $50 to $100 on craigslist are probably NOT in my future.

like this?:https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyMMehMWmAvTVwSEcMChAjmL6rBaQc1EMZvUYsGPWGYcvfzF0Q

Any sheet goods I would tackle with my circular saw.

Modern safety equipment (splitter / riving knife and anti-kickback pawls, and blade guard) would be a must.

my two older contractor saws use splitter/blade guard assemblies with anti-kick back pawls and they work very well.

(sorry if this has been asked a million times before.)
hope this helps. although i'm still not sure what style of saw you're looking for for that $250. and asking to be pointed to saws that might address your requirements would be a bit easier if a location were available.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hopefully you're not thinking about one of those newer version craftsman direct drive POS benchtop saws?
No, I was trying to avoid the benchtop saws because they are noisy and because they are inaccurate from what I am told. also, they are a little too small.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Actually, it looks like the Ridgid R4512 would suit the bill for me.

I just have to see if I can find one used in the Los Angeles area now.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
if a HD can be found in your area that will honor harbor freight's "20(now 25)% off any single item" coupon, a new 4512 could be had for as little as $375. that's a lot of value for a 10" CI 1.5 hp, dual voltage hybrid TS with mobile base, riving knife, 30" of rip capacity, a 3 year guaranty and eligibility for ridgid's LSA. being a rather new item, used 4512s aren't all that plentiful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Knotscott, I was looking at those two exact same listings this morning (I'm in LA as well, and in the market for a TS), so it's good to know that at least I'm on the right track. I'm actually interested in both, but do to some upcoming travel I just can't make it this, or next week. Hoping something good show's the week after.

Grunkle Stan- The Rigid that Knotscott linked to has been up since at least last weekend. The last one that I saw come up, was gone in a day or two so hopefully you have a shot at jumping on this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck, hope it works out for you. I would have liked to see it but i'm going out of town on business and don't have the time.

If you do get to see it , but don't buy it, would you mind letting me know what was wrong with it (so I don't make a trip to Valencia for nothing )? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there, Dusty D:

Right now I am out of town, and I am not 100% sure that the project I need it for (rehabilitating my aunt's house in Los Feliz) is a go or not. I still have to wait a day or two before I will even know if I need to get a table saw right now or not.

If I DO take a look at it then I will let you know, ok?

If on the other hand, you get a chance to see it first, and it isn't up to snuff, then kindly let me know, too.

But all in all, that is the saw that I am looking for, so even if this doesn't work out with my aunt's house, then I will look for one for my own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Los Feliz? Wow, your just down the street from me (Eagle Rock/Glendale area). In any case, if the saw is still around when I get back in town, I'll let you know what I find out..thanks, and good luck with the rehab...of the house..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, Los Feliz is nice. Love West LA and Hollywood, of course.

My aunt is unfortunately not going to be very mobile when she gets out of the hospital and I am going to have to try and make her living room (ground floor) into a second bedroom (since her bedroom is upstairs). Plus will have to try and build some ramps and rails because her kitchen is in a little mezzanine about three feet higher than the ground floor.

she has a great view of Griffith park (perfect seat on her patio to watch the fire a few years back).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts