Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Watch the jointer.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a carpenter who's learning woodworking. I'm also into sawing logs and timber framing. My specialty seems to be natural-edged rustic furniture. I may post some pictures later on.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Rustic!!!!!! You got my attention.
Welcome to wood talk.
Post pics. No teasing. Lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome!
Always nice to find another sawdust afficianado (sounds better than addict :laughing:)

·
Watch the jointer.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rustic!!!!!! You got my attention.
Welcome to wood talk.
Post pics. No teasing. Lol

I'm getting better with time, and learning the value of finishing. I like raw sanded wood, but there are many reasons to apply a nice finish.
Here's a cedar bench I pulled off last year, no finishing:

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Very nice. Looks like you used driftwood for the legs.
Did you use a tenon cutter?

·
Watch the jointer.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. Looks like you used driftwood for the legs.
Did you use a tenon cutter?

Yes, it was standing dead cedar, so it really gave it that driftwood look. I did use a tenon cutter on that, I have the router-mounted style. I am wondering about the drill-mounted ones though, which do you prefer? You have some great stuff in your album!

I have, in my early 20's, made tenons by hand with a chisel. But I have more billable hours I have to put in now. Maybe I'll pick that up again when I retire.

I'll put up a picture from the good old days of hand-chiseled tenons soon, it's not on the device.

In the mean time, here's a sign I did two years ago out of tulip poplar:

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
I like you things a lot and they all look great!

Welcome and stay for a while!

Reactions: Sgt. Spatula

·
Watch the jointer.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the aforementioned table I made with hand-made tenons. Granite top and cedar body. I made the it before I had many woodworking tools, so the whole thing was done in a rather unorthodox manner.

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Sgt. Spatula said:
Yes, it was standing dead cedar, so it really gave it that driftwood look. I did use a tenon cutter on that, I have the router-mounted style. I am wondering about the drill-mounted ones though, which do you prefer? You have some great stuff in your album! I have, in my early 20's, made tenons by hand with a chisel. But I have more billable hours I have to put in now. Maybe I'll pick that up again when I retire. I'll put up a picture from the good old days of hand-chiseled tenons soon, it's not on the device. In the mean time, here's a sign I did two years ago out of tulip poplar:
Very nice sign.
I'm not familiar with the router mounted style.
I have the ones that attach to a drill.
Thanks for your kind words.
Also nice very nice table you did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts