Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the projects I started when I got furloughed. I'm just getting it finished. A buddy of mine at work asked if I could I make him a table he could set on top of his ottoman to use as a coffee/game table, and be able to take it off when he wants to use it as an ottoman.
He gave me the dimensions he wanted, which is a 36" top, with a 24" base. The inlay is based on the one Sanchez did on his demilune build. So thanks again Sanchez.

image-2549898850.jpg

image-1609738262.jpg

image-378845803.jpg

image-3001352744.jpg

image-1487408234.jpg

image-367887067.jpg

The base is birch plywood with walnut edgeband. The lazy Susan mechanism I got from Rockler. The top I finished with wipe on poly, the base with shellac. Thanks for looking.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I used walnut and cypress cut into wedges, then sandwiched it with red oak. The inlay is 1/2 inch wide. For the corners and center pieces, it's cherry. I built a small table saw sled to cut the inlay into strips after glueing the wedges.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Yea I remember this.
Almost forgot about it. That looks sweet ray. Great idea!!!! Nice design and great job on the finish.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done store bought inlay, and solid wood inlay. But this is my first time to make my own multispecie inlay. Sanchez gave such a good tutorial in his thread that I had to try it. I just used woods that I had on hand. It's not perfect, but I like how it turned out.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Nice job, Ray! I am always blown away by your inlay work. I want to try it on my next project... I just don't know what that'll be yet. Hmmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts