Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the projects I started when I got furloughed. I'm just getting it finished. A buddy of mine at work asked if I could I make him a table he could set on top of his ottoman to use as a coffee/game table, and be able to take it off when he wants to use it as an ottoman.
He gave me the dimensions he wanted, which is a 36" top, with a 24" base. The inlay is based on the one Sanchez did on his demilune build. So thanks again Sanchez.

Table Wood Wood stain Coffee table Furniture

Table Furniture Coffee table Wood stain Hardwood

Wood stain Wood Table Furniture Hardwood

Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Cutting board

Wood stain Table Furniture Wood Coffee table

Text Font Wood Wood stain Handwriting

The base is birch plywood with walnut edgeband. The lazy Susan mechanism I got from Rockler. The top I finished with wipe on poly, the base with shellac. Thanks for looking.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I used walnut and cypress cut into wedges, then sandwiched it with red oak. The inlay is 1/2 inch wide. For the corners and center pieces, it's cherry. I built a small table saw sled to cut the inlay into strips after glueing the wedges.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Yea I remember this.
Almost forgot about it. That looks sweet ray. Great idea!!!! Nice design and great job on the finish.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done store bought inlay, and solid wood inlay. But this is my first time to make my own multispecie inlay. Sanchez gave such a good tutorial in his thread that I had to try it. I just used woods that I had on hand. It's not perfect, but I like how it turned out.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Nice job, Ray! I am always blown away by your inlay work. I want to try it on my next project... I just don't know what that'll be yet. Hmmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts