Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting a new lawn sprayer. I still have a 1 gal, and a 2 gal plastic pump sprayer. They are a PITA (and the back). I looked online at the backpack type with the pump handle and it still looks like work. HD has this battery powered sprayer. Anyone tried this type? Any suggestions from experience for the best way?

I also need to find a concentrate for spraying for ticks, and other little critters. We have two dogs that go outside as needed. I also need to find something that works good indoors, like on their bedding. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cabman,

I use this one. http://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-sprayer/

I have 4.5 acres and it does a pretty good job. It is kinda pricey but it is a quality product. Also keep in mind that a gallon of water weighs 8lbs so a 4/4.5 gallon sprayer full would be a shade under 40lbs. Nothing says you have to fill it up all the way though. HF sells a cheaper model but you get what you pay for. I cannot speak on battery operated sprayers. I know you said that a back pack sprayer still seems like work but the Stihl model has a seperate pressure compartment so there is less pumping, and you can add mix with out loosing pressure. It might be worth looking into.

As far as the concertrate for fleas, try 36.8 percent permethrin and 4 gallons of water. Do not let the pets in the yard until it is dry. You could also use 1 1/2 tablespoons of 4.75 percent deltamethrin and a hlaf gallon of water mix well then put another half gallon of water in and mis again spray (I don't know what the half and half thing is for but that is what the farmer at the feed store told me). Same thing with the pets. We have guinea fowl and they do a wonderful job of eating the fleas and ticks but not all HOA's allow these animals.

As far as the battery sprayer on your link I don't know about it but it seems to be easy to use and it appears to have a strap to carry it with. It just seems to me that when I have used anything battery operated it seems to break on me way too soon, except the boom box I still have from my youth that thing still runs like a champ.

good luck
Hays

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cabman,

I forgot the indoor use. We use seven dust 10% on the dog beds. We have large breed dogs, if they are small I might use the 5%. I would also ask a vet, I just use what we have always done and so far my dogs have not grown a third eye or anything.

IMG_0177.JPG

Hays

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cabman,

I use this one. http://www.stihlusa.com/products/sprayers/backpack-sprayer/

I have 4.5 acres and it does a pretty good job. It is kinda pricey but it is a quality product. Also keep in mind that a gallon of water weighs 8lbs so a 4/4.5 gallon sprayer full would be a shade under 40lbs. Nothing says you have to fill it up all the way though. HF sells a cheaper model but you get what you pay for. I cannot speak on battery operated sprayers. I know you said that a back pack sprayer still seems like work but the Stihl model has a seperate pressure compartment so there is less pumping, and you can add mix with out loosing pressure. It might be worth looking into.

As far as the concertrate for fleas, try 36.8 percent permethrin and 4 gallons of water. Do not let the pets in the yard until it is dry. You could also use 1 1/2 tablespoons of 4.75 percent deltamethrin and a hlaf gallon of water mix well then put another half gallon of water in and mis again spray (I don't know what the half and half thing is for but that is what the farmer at the feed store told me). Same thing with the pets. We have guinea fowl and they do a wonderful job of eating the fleas and ticks but not all HOA's allow these animals.

As far as the battery sprayer on your link I don't know about it but it seems to be easy to use and it appears to have a strap to carry it with. It just seems to me that when I have used anything battery operated it seems to break on me way too soon, except the boom box I still have from my youth that thing still runs like a champ.

good luck
Hays
Thanks for the rundown. I've lived with the pump sprayers a long time. When you get older I think things should be made easier to do. I looked at the backpack types. I'm thinkin' that reaching up and pulling a handle sounds like work. I've never tried one, maybe it's not all that bad though. The battery type does sound interesting. For as cheap as it is, I might just give it a go to try it out.

Fleas aren't our problem. We have one dog on Advantage and a prescription flea collar. Our new pup was on Frontline from the rescue place. Wife asks me why we have found a few ticks in the house, and asked where they came from. I pointed to my head, and told her I think they came in from the outside.:laughing:

I found a jug of Sevin in the garage, and the website says it has a shelf life of 5 years. I have no idea how long I've had it. It's never been opened.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for the rundown. I've lived with the pump sprayers a long time. When you get older I think things should be made easier to do. I looked at the backpack types. I'm thinkin' that reaching up and pulling a handle sounds like work. I've never tried one, maybe it's not all that bad though. The battery type does sound interesting. For as cheap as it is, I might just give it a go to try it out.

Fleas aren't our problem. We have one dog on Advantage and a prescription flea collar. Our new pup was on Frontline from the rescue place. Wife asks me why we have found a few ticks in the house, and asked where they came from. I pointed to my head, and told her I think they came in from the outside.:laughing:

I found a jug of Sevin in the garage, and the website says it has a shelf life of 5 years. I have no idea how long I've had it. It's never been opened.

Cabman,

I understand about the pump sprayers. for 25-30 bucks though the battery one might not be bad to try, you could maybe set it on a wagon and pull it around.

The mixes above will work for fleas and ticks. I will say, both chemicals are pretty strong. good luck

Hays

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I use the backpack style with the hand pump at work to spray herbicide around my remote sites for fire prevention. It works ok to spray a 2000 Sq Ft area, but it is a pain to fill and pump up. My coworker duct taped a longer handle to it and he like it, but it’s really a pain for me.

At home I also spray herbicide at home, but I bought a smaller 2 or maybe 3 gal battery operated sprayer and I love it. I don’t have as much to spray at home because I’m just spot spraying, but if I had to do a large total kill area like at work, I think I would buy the battery operated one. I’ve gone through a lot of pump sprayers in the last 20 years, because the seals go out and I’m not sure how long the battery one will last, but I’m not expecting too much because it appears to be a through away.

I haven’t looked at any commercial quality ones with batteries and not sure if they are any better then the hand pump I already have.

Reactions: cabinetman

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have solved the sprayer choice. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I can use one of my spray guns which is a siphon cup gun. I tried it and it works just great, and I have more than enough hose length. Still looking for a tick spray to mix with water that won't kill the dogs, and can be used indoors with cats too.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Umm you mean like a paint sprayer?
I have a craftsman paint sprayer that was on clearance like 15 years ago and I tried only one time to spray varnish on kitchen cabinets. It was a complete disaster and I’ve never used it since. I should try that myself except that it only has a quart container which might be enough to spray ant poison in the cracks of my driveway.
The ants are undermining my concrete driveway and I might have better penetration useing compressed air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts