Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Levi, buddy, that is some fantastic work there! All of it looks outstanding. I am assuming the wire at the top will be for a light? Will you have under cabinet lighting as well?

John

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Levi, buddy, that is some fantastic work there! All of it looks outstanding. I am assuming the wire at the top will be for a light? Will you have under cabinet lighting as well?
The wiring as is will be covered by a little box to match the rest of the cabinets. There will, however, be be puck lights under the cabinets..

thank you all for your kind words :) I have lots to learn! and have learned lots! :yes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sweet! Well done
Make sure you post the final pics with the shelves and lights

What program did you use for the original plans? I'm thinking I might need something like that to avoid some of the dumb mistakes i seem to find ways to make

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sweet! Well done
Make sure you post the final pics with the shelves and lights

What program did you use for the original plans? I'm thinking I might need something like that to avoid some of the dumb mistakes i seem to find ways to make
First of all thank you for your kind compliments :) And to answer your question Fud, I use Google sketchup which has been amazing as I get to know how to use the tools and such. AND it's free! :thumbsup:

Anyways! Thank you again everyone! I'm hoping to get the shelves made this week. Still waiting for the hardware to show up which I can't wait for, so I can get the doors hung! :yes:

Thank you all for coming back to see my progress!

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well it's been a while since I've last posted! I've been really busy with studying, as I've been memorizing... or just finished memorizing the book of John in the Bible, and had a quizmeet this past weekend!

But now I'm back to cabinetry! I got the doors hung with the latches, as well as the shelves made and ready to be painted!
I'm hoping to have the cabinets finished up by the weekend! Thank you all for your interest! :yes:

As I was gluing up the shelves... (the maple front on the shelves) I noticed how the grain of the strip ended up matching the plywood in a couple places! hahaha I just wish I wasn't painting it now! hahaha

Attachments

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Excellent work, as usual. That said, I have a couple of critiques:

First, so far most of your designs seem to be along the same design motif/style. I'd suggest, if you can, start trying to switch up styles on the cabinets you're building. Broaden your scope and experience into other styles and techniques as early as possible and it will be much better for you long term. You may already do that and just have these few examples as your latest projects, I don't know.

Second, on this particular cabinet, the "wings" sticking below the shelf in the center I see as a major "catching" issue. The corners of those will most definitely catch on any laundry someone tries to move around that space and likely will catch the backs of people's hands as well. Maybe consider closing that space off between the facing and the carcass? (If I missed something that explains a specific reason those were left open, I will apologize ahead of time.)

You have really shown that you are and will be an excellent craftsman throughout your career. I hope to be that good when I grow up... if I grow up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Levi I'm going to give goggle sketch up a try - I'm not nearly as talented as most around here. And my "free style" technique (i never use a plan) can cause me some frustration.
thanks!

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Excellent work, as usual. That said, I have a couple of critiques:

First, so far most of your designs seem to be along the same design motif/style. I'd suggest, if you can, start trying to switch up styles on the cabinets you're building. Broaden your scope and experience into other styles and techniques as early as possible and it will be much better for you long term. You may already do that and just have these few examples as your latest projects, I don't know.

Second, on this particular cabinet, the "wings" sticking below the shelf in the center I see as a major "catching" issue. The corners of those will most definitely catch on any laundry someone tries to move around that space and likely will catch the backs of people's hands as well. Maybe consider closing that space off between the facing and the carcass? (If I missed something that explains a specific reason those were left open, I will apologize ahead of time.)

You have really shown that you are and will be an excellent craftsman throughout your career. I hope to be that good when I grow up... if I grow up.
First of all thank you for your compliments :) I appreciate your input and I think I have an answer for both of your suggestions.
As for the style... I know exactly what you're talking about, and would agree. But my Aunt said she wanted something along the same design as the kitchen cabinets I had built. All that being said I was very pleased with being able to make these cabinets unique in their own way.
Now if I'm understanding you correctly, you're referring to the bottom arc FF, those open spaces will be filled in today. That's just been one of those finishing touches that I haven't got to! haha

I think this answers what you were asking and suggesting.
Again I appreciate the input so much! :) I told my parents the other night that I'm never content with my work, I just want to reach that next level of skill. :) So critiques are what I need to help me accomplish this!

·
Registered
645 Posts
First of all thank you for your compliments :) I appreciate your input and I think I have an answer for both of your suggestions.
As for the style... I know exactly what you're talking about, and would agree. But my Aunt said she wanted something along the same design as the kitchen cabinets I had built. All that being said I was very pleased with being able to make these cabinets unique in their own way.
Now if I'm understanding you correctly, you're referring to the bottom arc FF, those open spaces will be filled in today. That's just been one of those finishing touches that I haven't got to! haha

Again I appreciate the input so much! :) I told my parents the other night that I'm never content with my work, I just want to reach that next level of skill. :) So critiques are what I need to help me accomplish this!
Well done man, and memorizing the book of John? That's no joke! You're going places!

·
Banned
3,535 Posts

I thought I had read somewhere that this style was a request, which is why I put "if you can" because obviously you need to build what your customer asks for not just something new so you can learn more.

Keep up the good work!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts