Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's wood related as we are going to make some of our own walking stick and hiking staff tips out of this material.. anyone have experience lathing it? Mainly wondering what speed to go with, it seems a perfect dedicated use for the otherwise marginal HF Tools lathe we have in the shop

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It's wood related as we are going to make some of our own walking stick and hiking staff tips out of this material.. anyone have experience lathing it? Mainly wondering what speed to go with, it seems a perfect dedicated use for the otherwise marginal HF Tools lathe we have in the shop
It's very easy to turn. I use the same HSS tools (spindle roughing gouge and/or skew) as for wood.

Mostly I use it for jigs and bushings for my custom pen-making, it drills and taps very well.

As for speed ... whatever you'd normally use for an easy-to-turn wood (e.g. maple).

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If I was turning a block that diameter, I'd turn it slower too.

Since you said you were going to use it for walking-stick tips, I thought maybe you'd be looking at something in the range 3/4" to 1" diameter.

What's that one -- maybe 5" diameter? Circumference therefore about 15" ... at 300rpm, that's a surface speed of 4500"/min.

A 1" diameter rod has 3" circumference -- use 1500rpm for a surface speed of 4500"/min.

·
humble artizan
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was turning a block that diameter, I'd turn it slower too.

Since you said you were going to use it for walking-stick tips, I thought maybe you'd be looking at something in the range 3/4" to 1" diameter.

What's that one -- maybe 5" diameter? Circumference therefore about 15" ... at 300rpm, that's a surface speed of 4500"/min.

A 1" diameter rod has 3" circumference -- use 1500rpm for a surface speed of 4500"/min.
Thanks.. will play in that range for the tips and maybe for 2 piece delrin cane/stick joiners.. max for walking/hiking staffs would likely be 1.25 inches diameter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts