Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a lathe and try to make bowls seen this done and want to try, what are some of the things I need to look for when getting one to turn bowl, or will any of them do? I have been on cl for a few days and noticed a lot of them ranging between 200 and 300 table top, please help!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
bostonwindows said:
Looking to get a lathe and try to make bowls seen this done and want to try, what are some of the things I need to look for when getting one to turn bowl, or will any of them do? I have been on cl for a few days and noticed a lot of them ranging between 200 and 300 table top, please help!!
The first thing is the size if you are going to be turning bowls. A lathe with a 4" swing would be pretty limiting. Some have a gap to allow a larger swing but often the width is severely limited, better for plates than bowls.

Probably the next thing is a good solid machine with a sturdy tool rest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my advice: find something cheap, start out small with a 4" green (freshly cut) piece of wood. Harbor Freight has a decent set of gouges for around $75-$80 turn you a couple of bowls, if you like it...set aside or sell what you have and buy some serious equipment. It's to expensive to buy the good stuff to start out with and not enjoy it.

At least that's what I did. KCCO

·
Registered
27 Posts
That was my first lathe I still have it... Make sure you have a faceplate for hollowing bowls...You can get them off eBay sometimes.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
IMO, if you know now that you wanna turn bowls, buy a lathe capable of turning bowls. All the lathes you have mentioned are for turning really small items. If you buy one of those your going to be fairly frusterated with it in a short time. I have a HF lathe with 10" swing. I thinknits a great lathe but I know its limitations and as far as bowls go, about 6" is its max and it really struggles with a blank thay size. I think at a minimum you should be looking at a midi such as the Delta or the new Jet. Knowing you wanna turn bowls and looking at minis that have no power or capacity is just throwing your money away.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Since we are on the subject.. I have found two lathes on CL that I am considering.. Both Craftsman. Both running 1/2hp. One is 12" he wants $80..Pictures he sent me shows rust and table still covered in saw dust...I guess that means it is in working condition? Not sure what people are thinking when they either, don't post photos (had to request photos from this guy) or when they do, they haven't bothered to clean up what the are trying to sell. The second is a 32" Craftsman.. looks to be well taken care of. He wants $175 or trade.
http://denver.craigslist.org/bar/4281101288.html

Just looking for something to get started with, to see if I like it and maybe do some chair legs and the like.

Any comments?

·
Registered
5 Posts
w1pers said:
Since we are on the subject.. I have found two lathes on CL that I am considering.. Both Craftsman. Both running 1/2hp. One is 12" he wants $80..Pictures he sent me shows rust and table still covered in saw dust...I guess that means it is in working condition? Not sure what people are thinking when they either, don't post photos (had to request photos from this guy) or when they do, they haven't bothered to clean up what the are trying to sell. The second is a 32" Craftsman.. looks to be well taken care of. He wants $175 or trade.
http://denver.craigslist.org/bar/4281101288.html

Just looking for something to get started with, to see if I like it and maybe do some chair legs and the like.

Any comments?
From the pictures, that looks like a single speed lathe? If so, i think it would be extremely limited in use.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
From the pictures, that looks like a single speed lathe? If so, i think it would be extremely limited in use.
One photo shows several pulley positions. If the head has the same type of pulley then the machine has several speeds, but to change them you'll need to move the belt across the pulleys like you would with a drill press. Not a big deal, just a pain considering newer machines have speed control knobs instead manually adjustable belts.

That is a fairly old Craftsman but it does look very clean.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Most lathes require you to move the belt to change speeds. Even the ones with electronic variable speeds typically have different belt positions for different speed ranges and torque. I have a cheap lathe and it only takes about 10 or 15 seconds to move the belt. The ones with front access would be even simpler.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like a variable speed knob on the side? Is this something to start out with turning bowls or am I just wasting money????

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
W. Price Blvd.
Sears Craftsman 12" Wood Lathe mounted on work bench. Includes Craftsman set of wood chisels, 1/2 horsepower motor and is in excellent condition. Ready to use all you need is some wood!! Asking $150.00
W. Price Blvd. (google map) (yahoo map)

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4283950005 posted: 3 days ago email to friend ♥ best of

This is better sorry!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts