Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older lathe with a pulley system and extrnal motor. I have the capability of going up to over 5000 rpm. Is there any reason to go that high?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Lathe speed

My NOVA only goes up to about 3200 but I have never had it up near there and don't think I would wanna be standin there with something spinnin at 5 g's,imagine something blowing apart or coming loose at that speed,it would be like a hand grenade exploding BOOM. :no:

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I will spin some smaller diameter, balanced pieces fast some times, but I don't normally go over 3000. 5K sounds pretty fast to me.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! It is not an original motor and running through the math with the pulleys gets me upwards of 5K. Probably an over sized motor, even though I can get down to 500. But I don't want any grenades going off in my garage so I'll steer clear of that last pulley.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Lathe speed

You could probably slow it down by changing pulleys and get the slowest speed down to around 200.Depending on what you turn that is better to have than 4 or 5 g's especially when your roughen out an out of round bowl,or even sanding, the slow speed is much better,I believe
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts