Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I recall seeing a lathe gouge in a catalog that was made from a tube. It had a connection on the handle end that you could connect to a dust collector. Does anyone have an opinion about this tool or know where I can get one?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It sucks, literally and figuratively. I was designed as you can imagine, to pull the chips up the tube and out to your shop vac. I'm told it doesn't work very well and clogs easily. It also doesn't hold an edge very well. I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sucks, literally and figuratively. I was designed as you can imagine, to pull the chips up the tube and out to your shop vac. I'm told it doesn't work very well and clogs easily. It also doesn't hold an edge very well. I would stay away from it.
That may explain why I can't locate one. Thanks for the feedback.

·
7,222 Posts
I saw an ad for one of these just a few days ago. I am not recalling whether in a magazine, catalog or on-line ad.

My initial thought was that the small diameter would have so much pressure drop that the airflow would be small. I also was remembering a post a few weeks ago about a 4in or 5in dust collector opening blocking up because it had a steel cross. The poster was asking if this could be removed.

So if a large opening was getting chips blocking the airflow, the small opening in a gouge would block even easier.

I wonder how much of the chips the gouge would remove before it blocked up or dulled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.