Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a lathe and have only used one once about 20 yrs ago. I know next to nothing about them, but I would like to get started without investing alot of cash. Would this be an alright lathe to just get started on to play around with?
I realize there is no motor but maybe I could pick one up cheap on CL.
Thanks
Jim

·
7,222 Posts
I've never owned a lathe and have only used one once about 20 yrs ago. I know next to nothing about them, but I would like to get started without investing alot of cash. Would this be an alright lathe to just get started on to play around with?
I realize there is no motor but maybe I could pick one up cheap on CL.
Thanks
Jim
A lathe is perhaps the only power tool which is perhaps better to post in another forum, in this case the Woodturners forum.

The price for this lathe is not bad, but FYI, last week I picked up a 12in Craftsman monotube lathe which includes the 1/2HP motor for $30.

You will likely need to spend $10 - $30 for a motor on Craigs List or a local flea market.

I would hold out for a starter lathe which is more complete.

Before you get a starter lathe, give some thought to whether you want to turn spindles, which is what this lathe is designed to turn, or bowls.

Bowls or platters would need a bigger swing, larger motor.

I would look at the threads in the Woodturning forum about getting started in turning to give you more insight for what to look for in a lathe.

This is an example thread.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/where-start-53053/

Please be aware an $80 lathe may be the least expensive item you need to start turning.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave, I will read up on the woodturning forum to become better informed before I make a move then. I'n not sure what I want to turn yet but just spindle may become boring. Bowl and platter sound like fun but alot of work cutting and gluing all the segments. We'll see what I think after more research. Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you had spent as many years as I have without a lathe and made as many wooden handles and dowels etc. using a drill press you would already have bought that lathe.

Bowls yes, platters, probably not. No, it isn't the best but as you can see some old man had a lot of fun with it. A motor mount for it. With the right motor frame, so simple it's one of those why didn't I think of that. It just happens I did.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts