Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hung up a rack I made to hold 15 chisels. That's more than I usually use but that way there there.

All I used material wise was just a 10' 2 1/2" sch. 40 PVC pipe from HD and a few pieces of 1x4" and from the cull lumber rack. So about $15.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Burb said:
That's a good design. I but this one a few months ago. I have since mounted it on my wall near my lathe.
I like that one better than mine. I didn't want to put that much work into mine.

I got the idea from a you tube video

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I like that one better than mine. I didn't want to put that much work into mine.

I got the idea from a you tube video
Thanks, but I have thought of making something similar to yours for some other items. I like the ease of it. Mine took more time that I wanted to spend, but I was already involved.

I like them both.. But iay steal Burbs design ;)
Help yourself. I actually got the design from another member of our turning club who got it out of a magazine 15-20 years ago. I can try to get you measurements & specifics if you'd like.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Burb said:
Thanks, but I have thought of making something similar to yours for some other items. I like the ease of it. Mine took more time that I wanted to spend, but I was already involved.

Help yourself. I actually got the design from another member of our turning club who got it out of a magazine 15-20 years ago. I can try to get you measurements & specifics if you'd like.
If u could please :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Now if you take the BURB design make it 34" long, lower the bottom support with the cutouts about 1 1/2" you have a fishing rod rack. This is basically the design I use for FRR's. Just make sure the very bottom piece is at 45 degrees.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I like them both.. But may steal Burbs design ;)
Me too ... I like the way it hangs over one of those outfeed supports (something I've already got, for once!)

If you can find a plan easily, please post -- but if not, it isn't so complex that I can't figure out how to screw it up myself :laughing:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
If u could please :)
I'll try to post the build info this evening.

Now if you take the BURB design make it 34" long, lower the bottom support with the cutouts about 1 1/2" you have a fishing rod rack. This is basically the design I use for FRR's. Just make sure the very bottom piece is at 45 degrees.
IIRC, the man who originally posted the design in a magazine stated that his design was based off of a fishing pole rack.

Me too ... I like the way it hangs over one of those outfeed supports (something I've already got, for once!)
After I made the rack, I just placed 1/4" bolts through the back support piece and used fender washers and a nylon nut. It allowed me to easily remove the roller from the stand, then place the rack on it and reinstall the roller. I have since mounted the rack on my way as I moved around a few tools and I have room for it now.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Heres a few pictures that should help. This was originally posted in the March 2008 issue of American Woodworker. If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I will help the best I can.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm working on a multi-level rotating (using 2 levels of lazy susan bearing sets) system for my tools. I scrapped part of it a few months ago because I didn't like mixing pine and spruce, and redoing the part that I scrapped has to wait at least a year until I consolidate my tools (they're divided by 2,800 miles!).

Also, I scrapped the pine part additionally because I reworked the plan to include a small cabinet that will hold lathe accessories like centers, chuck accessories, tool rests, etc. The idea is to have a rotating system that will contain everything I need to move quickly and efficiently on my lathe.

Look for pictures.... in a year or two. ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I built one a few months ago along the lines of Burb's and yes I have a double sided fishing rod rack similar to it. The rod rack is a trestle style that can be broken down and stacked flat to move.

Good work guys I like them both.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Safety first

I notice that you all have your tools pointing up!!!!! I sure. Hope that you never have a lose of balance resulting in landing on these racks. Why don,t you point them down.???

Just for fun, have a look at mine. Its on my. Web site.

Http:www.rocky-roost-woodturnings.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts