Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really a tool collector as I am user of old hand tools. However, I can't resist picking up unusual tools when I find them. I found this pull saw in a store on the north shore of Lake Superior. The etching on the saw plate is very faint, but I can make out that it is made in Germany of Warranted Cast Steel. Can any of you guys tell me more about it?

The teeth are filed as a rip saw, approximately 7 1/2 points per inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a franken-saw -- cobbled together from modified pieces of other saws. The plate appears to be a typical turn of the (last) century, western push saw blade (with nib?) and the handle is apparently from yet another saw. The blade was probably cut down, as that part of the plate which would have been drilled to receive the handle, is missing.
That style of handle would typically be found on a joinery saw (backsaw).

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a franken-saw -- cobbled together from modified pieces of other saws. The plate appears to be a typical turn of the (last) century, western push saw blade (with nib?) and the handle is apparently from yet another saw. The blade was probably cut down, as that part of the plate which would have been drilled to receive the handle, is missing. That style of handle would typically be found on a joinery saw (backsaw).
you are probably right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts