Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM002237.jpg
Here is a S & P mill made laminated with oak, walnut, wenge, birdseye maple, bloodwood, & redheart. The laminated stack was cut at 8 degrees rather than present it as a straight stack. For a 3" square you will need at least 4" of laminated area.

IM002238.jpg
This S & P mill was made with walmut, oak, birdseye maple, and the celtic knot is bloodwood.

I am using a new finishing process on these mill with Waterlox sealer and finisher. A total of 3 coats with the second coat sanded from 1500 to 4000 before applying the last coat. I made a special fixture to rotate the body off the lathe which permits me to continue to make mills and wait the 24 hours between coats. I can post a picture of the fixture if anyone is interested. I was really satisfied with how the oak turned out on he lathe.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,372 Posts
These are really spectacular. I love the way that you do the laminations. Do you have some kind of idea how they are going to look after you turn them, or is it kind of a suprise as it's turning. I've never tried a project like this so I'm not quite getting the concept of what it would take to laminate different species to get these kind of results.
Absolutely awesome work.
Ken

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken

Thanks

I laid out the wood many time and sometime sleep on a selection than go back and change my mind. I also play with the thickness and try to imagine how it will display when turned. I had a hard time trying to get the most exposed surface for the redheart. The next thing was to get the best use of the total stack and find the right angle to cut the stack. I laid a 3” block across the lamination and a 3” cutout to get a feel for the correct angle. I was originally planning on 15 degrees but for the exposure of the wood side views I decided on 8 degrees.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Very nice Bob,
I like the slight angle. I have seen some done with more of an angle and they come out looking like a bad barbershop pole. Finish looks great. Good work , keep it up.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts