Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the latest picture frame I made. It is a 5 x 7 made of lacewood with padauk inlay. It is a simple frame but I really like the look of the grain. I made this as a Christmas Present for my sister. That is her in the photo in her kayak. The picture was taken in Adirondaks last August on Moss Lake. It was early morning and very foggy as you can see.

The easel comes off so the picture can be hung if desired.

DSC04856s.JPG
DSC04857s.JPG

Reactions: ThomasOSB

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did someone say they like working with Padauk?!:laughing: So you like you're hands being dyed red for a week?The stuff dyes my scalp red.
About the picture frame,I like how the inlay breaks up the inside square.It looks alot better than if it didn't.Nice color match,nice roundover on the edges.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did someone say they like working with Padauk?!:laughing: So you like you're hands being dyed red for a week?The stuff dyes my scalp red.
About the picture frame,I like how the inlay breaks up the inside square.It looks alot better than if it didn't.Nice color match,nice roundover on the edges.
John,

I have heard several comments about padauk staining your hands or bleeding into other woods but honestly I have never experienced that for myself. Granted, I have only ever used small pieces as accents. Maybe working with bigger pieces is a different story

Thanks a lot for your comments. BTW, the way that the inlay breaks the corner is my favorite technique. It can really hide a lot of sin if your miters aren't perfect. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I used to use lots of Padauk,it's what got me into woodworking.People don't realize that there is red colored wood and they love it,but it stains everything.Four years later and I'm still finding red birch in my shop.:laughing: The splinters are also annoying.But with all this,I still use it.It is so beautiful.Burgondy red with black grain or just a mess with a hundred colors.Although i've never seen any figured.Anybody got some pictures or a site?And it takes about 5 washes to get my shirts back to white ish.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The frame looks awesome Ken! i like the colors they look very nice. Did you stain them?
The finish is just boiled linseed oil (2 coats) and wipe on poly (2 coats). I like the natural look.:thumbsup:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I can't say i have alot of experience with padauk but I used it on several projects, maybe half a dozen or more times, making jewelry boxes and humidors. I never used it in any large projects. I do remember the staining but it never bothered me. It's one of my favorite woods. But I never met a wood I didn't like either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts