Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finished my last bowl for a while. I get on the plane to Korea tomorrow, but managed to sneak this last one in.

I'm curious if you guys can guess the wood? I haven't seen it referenced before in wood turning, but I don't know if it is actually common. The guy at the lumber yard called it "poor man's cherry". It is lighter than the cherry I've worked, but what I love about it is that it has these interesting streaks. It seems to be a common characteristic since I've seen it on bowls cut from different pieces. Any guesses?

This is the first one I drew up on sketchup first. I was going for a perfect circular form. I guess I did ok, It was pretty challenging for me. I guess it is like drawing a perfect circle by hand.

Thanks for looking - feedback welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the winner is Travico, yes it is alder. I didn't know it is red alder though. It is just sold under Alder.

Yes, I shipped some of my hand tools and all my carving tools as well as some pre-milled wood to carve. I'll probably try to make some small carved boxes, although if I can find the Korean equivalent of harbor freight, I may just buy a cheapo lathe and see if I can get away with it in an apartment complex!

Here is the portable bench I made and shipped. It wasn't quite done in this photo though. It was from a shopnotes magazine.

Attachments

·
Slightly seasoned amateur
118 Posts
You got the outside curve absolutely perfect. It's a really lovely piece. I'm guessing from your dimension drawing it's 5" high but what diameter?
Also, what wood did you use for the joint lines?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the nice words!

Each segment was 7/8" thick so it probably ended up at 4 1/2" tall after flattening the disks. I'm in Japan waiting for my connecting flight to Korea. The good news is that I think the base I am going to has a woodshop. I'm not sure if it has a lathe though.

The contrasting wood is red dyed veneer (no species specified on package). I got it from woodworker's supply in Albuquerque. It came in a pack of 6 12" square sheets, red, black, and white. It was from some company named something like "The Bowl Company". It was in the turning section.

Regards,

·
Registered
902 Posts
That bowl is perfectly crafted. The red alder has nicer grain pattern than cherry! You've done a great job on that! Just stunning!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the nice comments!

I have great news and annoying news:

I found the post woodshop, and it is pretty well equiped. Tucked into a corner is a lonely looking Delta 1642. No chuck, one faceplate, and pretty crappy looking turning tools, but its a lathe!

Annoying news: in typical Army red tape, i have to take a class to use it - the kicker: only once a week, 3 at a time and it is booked into December! Well, I'll be at each of those classes to see if someone doesn't show up.

Anyone know the spindle size on a delta 1642. Im guessing its 1 1/8" since it looks bigger than mine. I might shell out the $99 to buy another woodriver chuck from woodcraft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Great bowl Justin , nice segmenting .

I've worked with red alder , it turns like cheese eh mate :thumbsup:

Re. the post workshop lathe ,
show them that bowl , ask the 'teacher' to do the same or better , and if he/she can't , you take over the job . :laughing:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jock, i actually did show the bowl to him. I think they will let me use the lathe, just not the tablesaw etc...

It wouldn't be the army if it made sense!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Justin, that's great news -- and consider the possibility that you might learn something in one of those classes a bonus, not a negative.

Having to wait before you can use the lathe is a drag, I agree. Will they let you practice sharpening the tools in the meantime? Maybe some other way you can use the the time to improve some other skills, such as carving or decorating (stuff I never get to because the lathe is right there and, to be honest, I'd rather be turning!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Bowl

The bowl is awesome. If you had not mentioned the bowl not being an ideal circle I would have thought you had done it exactly has envisioned. Great Job and good luck on Korea!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts