Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the ones done I really need. Have to move on to some other projects for a week or so. this was a partly punky burl. It was hard to work with but made nice very light ornaments. They are about the lightest I've made at 14 and 16 grams. That's about .4oz or there abouts. It's really not necessary to make them that light but it surprises people when they pick them up which helps sales.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey john. If you don't mind me asking, I'm wondering how long it takes you to make one of these ornaments and what you sell them for. I've considered making them and have made only one but it took me quite awhile to make. Probably an hour. I feel like I'd need to charge $50 or so in order to make any money off of them. Is there a market out there for Xmas ornaments?
Thanks, Tyler

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can probably make these ornaments in a little over 1/2 hours. Depends on how thin I decide to hollow and how intricate I make the finial. In my area they won't sell for over $35 I know they sell for more in other parts of the state. I usually make 3 or 4 spheres at a time so I get pretty fast at hollowing. then I'll make the finials all at once. The last one of course always goes faster than the first one.
I make a 2 part ornament that's just a cylinder, cut in half (or 1/3/2/3), hollow both halves a little, glue back together and then turn the whole ornament. I can make those easily in 1/2 hour or less.
I also make some one part ornaments out of light weight wood that I can easily make in 10 minutes or less. They don't sell as well for whatever reason but I sell them around here for $12.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts