Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Sawing against the Wind
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Blessed with this large oak......54" dia 90' high x 90' crown width ......but was only approx 70 yrs old....huge growth rings...would've guessed much older....8' long trunk:thumbsup:with fence in it:thumbdown::thumbdown:. Seen signs of barb wire but didn't hit any while cutting....IMMEDIATE BLUE streaking on base cut....NO surprise being that close to a road. Forked at 9' into 2 36" forks each. The left fork in pic shows a rotted strip but I was greatly surprised it was only surface...Got 2 - 8'x 36" logs. pithe stayed fairly centered on them:thumbsup::thumbsup:.....Got 1 - 8' from right side.

I got me a ripping chain today and will attempt slicing main trunk tomorrow (Sat.) into sawable qtrs..... ??? about the fence in it... I hate to have 48" crotch cut.....decide tomorrow.

I did get 1 - 9" burl.

Saw in pics is 40" tip to tip seating next to base cut on the stump.

Everyone have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Attachments

2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad Pic... make another tomorrow.
Tim

2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK you win DOM...I could make....so I snapped .....once or twice LOL.

Rip sawed today....I wouldn't want to own a (me labor) manual CSM unit....sore unknown muscles. I got 2 qtrs sawed and a large chunk ready to finish (not enough bar or daylight). Got some beautiful wood....always heard qtr sawing red oak wasn't worth it...well I'll let you all be the JUDGE..The large growth rings left some awesome grain patterns to be obtained....one qtr was 18and 22" at one end and 24 and 22" at the other....the second qtr balanced approx 24" all over.

Two posts of pics....Dom's burl LOL...me standing on tree....yesterday's haul (small ends).
2nd post ...me standing beside trunk on the crotch end....some of the qtrs...and PACMAN.

Enjoy and have a Blessed and Prosperous evening in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Attachments

2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more pics....hard face...hard day LOL

Attachments

2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 more pics....yeah I had to finish the cut by splitting with wedges. Hard to drive wedges with firewood:eek::eek::thumbdown::blink::huh:...LOL.....That's about 50" hieght of oak in bottom pic.

Enjoy and have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Attachments

· Registered
135 Posts
What a piece of wood. I get sore just looking at the pics of all the work you did.:eek: Looking at your self portrait, I think you could go back 150 yrs. and fit right in with the timbermen of the day...and probably teach them a thing or two. Rough and ready.:icon_cool: Gary

2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments......I've been finishing up my part of the table build. I finished hauling the oak to the my mill. This pic is of the main trunk parts plus 2 - 8' walnut logs @18".....DON'T let this pic fool you:huh::huh:, those qtrs are approx 24" per side ....THEY'RE BIG:blink::blink::eek::eek:. If my calculations are correct.....what I can salvage of this oak should be approx. 2,500 bd ft. I've got to get to sawing...waiting on my sealer. Yep, I'll have to agree I GOT BLESSED!!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love,
Tim

Attachments

2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep...that is the dreaded blue of metal...I found so far 2 confirmed strands of barbed wire...If it's laying where it appears to be I won't be losing much bd ftge.

Tim

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.