Woodworking Talk banner

Large dimension Osage Orange?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Oldwoodturner 
#1 ·
I want to turn a big pepper mill; the final dimensions will be 4-1/2" diameter by 6-1/2" tall.

What are my chances of finding a piece of Osage Orange 5" X 5" X 7" (or bigger)?

Any ideas for a source?

#5 ·
I want to turn a big pepper mill; the final dimensions will be 4-1/2" diameter by 6-1/2" tall.

What are my chances of finding a piece of Osage Orange 5" X 5" X 7" (or bigger)?

Any ideas for a source?
Just a comment. Are you sure you want a 4 1/2" by 6 1/2" mill. That is a very large diameter for only 6 1/2" tall. 3" dia would be just right size for someone to hold on to. The sizes seem to be out of proportion. 6 1/2" tall really isn't that big. Just my 0.02!

#7 ·
Quickstep said:

Any ideas for a source?
I would suggest going out into the woods (about 1 or 2 AM) and taking a good size chainsaw. Find an Osage orange tree and cut that thing down (make sure to yell TIMBER!!!) I would then cut the tree into logs and split them in half. Just know if you see headlights to get the $&@% outa there!

Lol I'm just kidding. I'm sure you can find something like that. If you want it it's out there. A crotch would certainly be that size.

#10 ·
ghost5 said:
I guess I could go out in the yard and cut one down. Be awhile before it is dry enough to use. I really do need to cut some but it is rough on the chain.
Ya very true. I personally like turning green wood and letting it dry slowely and letting it morph into whatever it wants... I guess that wouldn't be ideal for a pepper mill though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.