Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· where's my table saw?
32,658 Posts
Robert - First off, I have a few projects to make for myself then consider making them for sale after I get the list of components to work in a simple order. After seeing the projects on other forums with massive heads and handles and using hardwoods like walnut, cherry, etc. should be an attractive option over the ones presently listed online.
Also - to replace the rinky-dinky vise on the HF woodworking table. The table is okay for the hobbyist but the end vise is way, way below our standards. There's just so many projects that could benefit from a big beefy wood screw assembly.
(stay tuned)
To my simple mind, it would seem like the nut/threaded body would be the challenge.
I can't envision an easy way to create the female threaded portion other than a "tap".
And a tap doesn't seem like it would an easy project, unless I'm over thinking it?

A found this comprehensive series on You Tube;

· where's my table saw?
32,658 Posts
oh boy. i went down the rabbit hole...
i know john doesn't want to make his own threading equipment, but what the heck 🤷‍♂️
it's all in russian, so you can't understand anything unless you speak russian
with the nut video i had no idea what he was doing until towards the end
but you can't argue with the guys dedication to making wood nut and threads with machines
he uses a router to do do everything, once the jigs are made
Yes, looks good, BUT those are ACME threads, only allowed in metal working ....... ;)

· where's my table saw?
32,658 Posts

· where's my table saw?
32,658 Posts
I would really like to make my own tool for turning the tap.
Of course. That being the case, why not expand on your prototype a bit and make a three layer laminate from two pieces of 1/8" brass with either a steel middle layer or a wood layer in the middle? Then apply wood scales like a knife on the top surface for the handles. It could well be a "work of art" fitting the hand tool nature of the wood screws.

· where's my table saw?
32,658 Posts
The next obstical is the danged 1" dowels. Big Box dowels are 1.01" in diameter and the 1" forstner bit is .99". I had to put the dowel on the lathe and sand it down to fit. At present, I don't have anything that will sand the holes in the vise jaws so the dowels will slide in and out without friction.
Make a long, thin slit in an undersized dowel, say 7/8" and insert some 100 grit paper until it barely will fit into the holes.
Use a Bannister bolt or cut off lag bolt in the end to chuck in your battery drill and spin the dowel until you have a precise fitting assembly.

Reactions: BigJim
1 - 5 of 5 Posts