Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,521 Posts
The wood threader that I have now is a 1" - I want a heftier size of the 1-3/4" for other projects.
Searching around the web everything reasonably priced stops at 1 1/2. Look at the bright side, a 1.5" cylinder has 2.25 times the cross section of a 1", that should be a hefty jump over what you have.

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,521 Posts
I only found about soaking the set in mineral oil this week - Never heard of it before. Now, I'm wondering how you get the oil out of the wood if you wanted to stain or finish the pieces
For bending wood it's the heat not the water or steam that does the trick. For thread cutting maybe put the wood in a 180F etc oven overnight?

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,521 Posts
Just an update on the spanner wrench. I can't remember when I turned matched handles for anything.
Looks to me like you made a mistake, now they are too nice to use. ;)

I've never done anything close to that, each handle you made is one piece of wood? How do you make the deep slot in the handle that is so large relative to the size of the of the wood?

Will be interesting to hear how much effort is required, even with the wood softened some. Are sharpening instructions included?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts