Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I've googled the heck out of it. The most common "large" size is 1.5" here in the U.S.
My question is, have any of you actually seen, or know of, the 1-3/4" wood threading kit ??
And, no - I don't want to make one, and no, I don't want to use a router or lathe to do the job.
And, no - I don't want to spend 800 Euros for the Dieter Schmid's 44mm set.
I'm just wondering if any of you have actually seen or used the 1-3/4" model yourself. (of any model or brand name).
Product Water Auto part Metal Jewellery

Wood Gas Rectangle Household hardware Hardwood

Jaw Font Rectangle Wood Symmetry

Homemade versions can be fraught with frustrations and disappointments due to the fact that the male and female threads MUST match perfectly in order for the mechanism to work properly.
1-1/2" Common Tap & Die
And, this is how it should work with a little fine-tuning.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually, I have several potential projects in mind that can be made in my little hobby room with minimum tools. The one at the forefront now is a portable 2x2' work bench with vise that can be carried in the car and used just about anywhere. The wood threader that I have now is a 1" - I want a heftier size of the 1-3/4" for other projects.
Workbench example:
Wood Rectangle Tool Hardwood Machine

and this is the vise screw I made the other day with a 1" maple dowel just as a prototype. So I'm chasing the unicorn of a commercially made threader in the 1.75 - 2.0 inch size just for funzie projects. (without having to take out a loan from the bank).
Wood Tool Mallet Household hardware Metal

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry - that tutorial is of no use to me. I'm not looking for any info on how to make the tool.
I'm chasing the unicorn of a commercially made threader in the 1.75 - 2.0 inch size

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob - I contacted Taylor Tools to see if they had access to the 1-3/4" cutter. Got their reply this morning.
I've also contacted a few other companies but haven't heard back yet on them.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Number

I'm looking for the tool itself; not how to build one or use one.
The larger 1-3/4" is 50% cosmetic enhancement of the project and 50% function. Eventually, I'll probably add the 1.5" to the box, but not at this time.
Soaking the blank in oil was educational. But later, I saw that it makes the wood swell and might not not fit into the tool. So that takes some trial-and-error there.
I've already put hours and hours of research into this quest - so I've probably seen all the relevant videos already.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, they do exist. BUT, the ones I find are made in Germany with no US distributors and they are priced way out of the range of any hobbyist. The top photo belongs to one of our colleagues in Norway and he makes some pretty impressive projects with it like a book press, bench vise, etc. He is the one that has inspired me to try to find a threader of that size. But it looks like the search will be fruitless. My original question was to find someone that actually has one or used one of that size to compare notes. (I think the Euro is about 1:1 to the USD).
Font Auto part Nickel Machine Metal

Lake Erie Tools is one of the companies I contacted. On their website, they don't sell cutters, only the finished products (there is more profit in selling the milk than selling the cow).

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry, no - I want the hand operated tools. No router, CNC, mill, lathe, or other machines will work for me.
I DO appreciate all the effort from everyone - for now, I'm totally focused and driven for the tool only or to find someone that has one or has used one to compare notes with.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Robert, there are no competent machinists in my area that I know of - only tourists on top of tourists on top of tourists.
There is a family owned place in Winter Garden that I'm going to take my 1 and 1.5" cutters to and see if they can make a set in the 1.75 or 2.0" size at 3TPI. The trick is having the male (die) and female (tap) threads mate perfectly or it will be time and money wasted. There are so many home-made "threaders" for the male dowel part but not many of the videos show making the competent male tap to marry the two together.
My game plan now is to go ahead and buy the $800.00 Tap & Die from Germany, make two 24" Moxon Vise screw sets out of some expensive and exotic hardwood and sell them to you for $750.05 for your workbench. And, that will put my purchase in the $49.95 zone as advertised on the net for the smaller models. (that's my current plan).:)
After I get the cutter, and get some practice cutting hardwoods, I can see a small market for the Moxon Vise components in something other than white maple or birch. Something I can do on the hobby level to stay busy. (and make a little pocket change).
Eyelash Coil spring Office supplies Font Microphone

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the response, Sonny. I'm not looking to buy the parts, I'm looking to buy the tool itself so I can make my own.
But, if you wanted to sell your set, we could discuss it via PM.
I only found about soaking the set in mineral oil this week - Never heard of it before. Now, I'm wondering how you get the oil out of the wood if you wanted to stain or finish the pieces (for whatever reason). Just a thought. (and yes, 2" is a very nice size).

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Robert - First off, I have a few projects to make for myself then consider making them for sale after I get the list of components to work in a simple order. After seeing the projects on other forums with massive heads and handles and using hardwoods like walnut, cherry, etc. should be an attractive option over the ones presently listed online.
Also - to replace the rinky-dinky vise on the HF woodworking table. The table is okay for the hobbyist but the end vise is way, way below our standards. There's just so many projects that could benefit from a big beefy wood screw assembly.
(stay tuned)

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wood Tool Wall Gas Plumbing

I've ended up getting the Taylor Tools 1.5" and it works great, is beefy, but the thread count seems too high.
Good point - now that I look at it more closely, and consider the turns needed to open and close the jaws just 4 inches might be a negative feature that most people don't want. I've also been toying with the idea of how to make a "quick release" like the metal vises have. (I'll have to put the 1-1/2" version on hold for now just because of the high [6-TPI] thread count).
Thanks for the info.
oh - you said you soaked the wood in linseed oil - did you mean boiled linseed oil or straight oil ??

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
To my simple mind, it would seem like the nut/threaded body would be the challenge.
I can't envision an easy way to create the female threaded portion other than a "tap".
And a tap doesn't seem like it would an easy project, unless I'm over thinking it?
No, you are not over thinking it - to make the two parts that mate together perfectly takes a certain amount of skill and tools. The people on YouTube make the "threading box" without thinking about the female thread (tap). I have no enterest in even trying to make the tools. I just heard back from my friend with the machine shop and they no longer do lathe work. Just fabricating and welding of metal stuff. And, a whole LOT of projects for Disney (Orlando).
So - it will be patience and searching until I come down to the end of my rope and swing for the German one (which has two cutters) and is big bucks. BUT - has the potential of paying for itself over time. (that is my defense, and I'm sticking to it).
There is no way you can do this with a 6-TPI thread.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A hearty shout-out to SonnyAgain for his invaluable information as he actually has what I'm looking for and answered all my questions and concerns. Like any quality tool that you guys look for, you compare capabilities, need vs want, and price. This is what I am budgeting for in the very near future.
Thanks Sonny.
Product Camera lens Lens Line Camera accessory

And to all the other responders, thank you for your time and efforts.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks for asking, Tony. I've ordered the commerrcial made one from Germany and it should be here in a week or so. I saved $70.00 on shipping by comparing UPS to DHL and DHL was the cheapest with 4-6 days delivery. (we'll have to see on that).
I was doing a project just this morning and struggled with the awkward clamping arrangement that I had to use. One of my first projects will be a portable Moxon vise that clamps to any bench with all wood hardware (no metal). Once I get familiar with the tool, I'll look into making some projects "for profit" to help pay for this thing.
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Slope

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Robert - homemade (shopmade) Moxons are a dime a dozen with metal fixtures. It's just a matter of choice. Personally, I prefer all wood, Just like my grandfather's bench (which disappeared over the years. I've put in hours and hours looking at "all wood" Moxon vises and there are thousands with the metal screws and handles. Even the jack screw for leveling scaffolding is an excellent choice. (low thread count). I just like wood.
After I get the tool and learn how much it can do, then, I'll get an understanding on how to price threaded rod with a matching nut. I got a list of 1-3/4" hardwood dowels in my B.Forest shopping cart for the first batch. (cherry, walnut, etc).
(I'll be in touch).

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The wrench to turn the "tap" takes a 16mm square hole (not included with the set). So, this morning, I got an old piece of 1/4" aluminum plate and made a spanner style wrench. (after some grinding, sanding and polishing, it looks rather snazzy). When the tools get here, I'll turn a pair of matching handles for the spanner wrench then make a nice wooden box for storage. (at this price, I'll take better care of it than just keeping it in a drawer).
I'll make a project page on it after I get it all said-n-done.
Wood Font Art Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Tool Machine Auto part Engineering Metal

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Eddie - this is my prototype - if it doesn't work, I'll get a piece of steel pipe and flatten a spot in the middle and cut a square hole to fit. (which may the case). I'm a fan of two hands work better than one - Cresent or Pipe wrench, etc.
I also have an old 12" miter saw blade I was considering. (but it takes a LOT more work in cutting it to shape).

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Merry Christmas to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Got the threader kit in this afternoon and with the first visual, this is a very well made tool (in keeping with the tradition of German tools). I'm very impressed with it. The spanner wrench I made only needed a little fine tuning and it's ready for handles tomorrow. The handles on the die are plain 1x6" birch or maple. Or maybe "Larch" that is common over there.
Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Burin Tool

Burin Wood Mallet Rotary tool Metalworking hand tool

And here is one of the recent "prototypes" for the Moxon Vise Hub. This is just HDU turned on the lathe to get the profile in my mind of what I would like to have for myself. The handle is just a simple 1" cherry or walnut dowel. I have some 1.5" dowels to turn end caps with instead of the generic "ball" ends. And, a vintage embellishment coin imbedded in the hub to make it a conversation piece. (it's just a very good "copy" available on Etsy).
Wood Wood stain Rectangle Circle Jewellery

Wood Circle Serveware Natural material Metal

Tableware Serveware Wood Artifact Pottery

I received some of the wood today but not the required dowels for the threaded screw. Hopefully, they will be here soon. Should have some examples to show by late next week.
Will make a separate project of the portable desk when I get started on that one.

· Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
yeah David - One can only imagine the engineering that went into the R&D of these German made tools. Actually holding it in my hands just boggles my mind at the tooling that was required to make it function as it does. I doubt that any of my local CNC machinists could even come close to it. I'm proud to have it in my box.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts