Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been making art frames (for stretching canvas) for my step-mom using 1"x2" poplar boards. This has worked great for smaller (44"x44" and under) frames, but now she wants some 6ft x 6ft frames, and it needs to be double the depth--essentially, 2"x2" for the outer part of the frame. I tried looking for poplar boards locally but didn't have much luck finding anything that is thicker than 1". I've considered gluing 1x2s or larger boards together (and cutting them to size on the table saw), but I wasn't sure if this was a good idea. I'd love to hear suggestions, and I'm open to using a different wood, like pine, if it would make things better, easier, and/or more cost effective. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
Ret: Process Engineer
102 Posts
You're probably going to begin with 2 by material and cut/square down as needed, plus your corner stiffening should cover a larger area ..... just my initial gut reaction.

Reactions: cynrich

·
where's my table saw?
29,381 Posts
Does it have to be exactly 2x2? Can’t you just glue up two 1x2’s?
Yes, but don't glue them side to side. Glue them in an "L" shape and it will be 3X stiffer/more stiff. Tack them with a pin nailer if you have one while the glue sets up. That way you won't need clamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it have to be exactly 2x2? Can’t you just glue up two 1x2’s?
Gluing up two 1x2's is what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if that would lead to problems down the road with any conflicting expanding/contracting or some other scientific mumbo-jumbo 😁. If that shouldn't be an issue in the frame's longevity, then gluing up two 1x2's is my ideal solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, but don't glue them side to side. Glue them in an "L" shape and it will be 3X stiffer/more stiff. Tack them with a pin nailer if you have one while the glue sets up. That way you won't need clamps.
I'm not sure I'll be able to glue the pieces in an "L" shape. Is sistering two boards likely to cause problems in a year or two?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you see as the problem with "L" shape as opposed to face to face?

George
It's just not something I've really ever done. Would I just be cutting strips off a wider piece like a 1x8 and gluing the pieces to the 1x2 so that grains are crossed (+)? I wouldn't mind doing it if that's what creates a long-lasting frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts