Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased plans for a landscape timber lighthouse and bought the lumber and have it all cut and 'dry' fit together. Each layer of the lighthouse is six mitered pieces of timber which form a hexagon with each layer being varied in size. What i have been trying to accomplish is 'toenailing' each piece in the layer together, but the lumber is really tough for the deck screws to go through. The instructions say to screw in at an angle from the underside using 3" deckscrews. I have tried to drill the screws in at an angle and it gets through the first piece ok, but when it hits the other piece it goes in a little then stops. I have tried to drill pilot holes, but the bit doesn't want to go in the second piece of wood. Has anyone built one of these or used landscape timber in a project that can shed any light on this for me. I'm sure what i'm doing wrong is simple, but it eludes me. Thank you.
(I'm not at all an experienced woodworker, but would like to give it a try.) :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site! First I would ask, what are you using to drive the screws? If you are using a underpowered cordless drill this could be your problem. Try drilling a slightly larger hole in the first piece so that the screw threads will not catch any wood but the screw head will. If you still have problems consider a cordless impact driver. I use mine for everything. It will drive 6" lag screws into timbers easily.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My dad always kept a bar of wax or soap in his tool box. He would rub the screw threads on the bar to lube them up for really tough woods. Of course that was before power screwdrivers. Still might be worth a try.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts