Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting time for me to upgrade from my Rigid contractor saw to a cabinet saw. Was looking at the Laguna. Anyone with experience on it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either that one or this
http://www.lagunatools.com/images/lt494.jpg

I don't mind spending the money if it is high quality and will last.
At 46, I figure I've got at least 30 years of WW left in me. My son-in-law, good kid, is starting to take an interest also. Would make a nice hand-me-down later... much later. :laughing:

Last months issue of Fine Woodworking rated the Laguna band saw as best overall. One might assume they put the same quality in all of their products. Just looking for a warm fuzzy on it from an unbiased source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's the fence, not the saw.

I've had, or used most of the major brands of cabinet saws (10", 3-5 HP), and there is little difference among them. I currently have a 10" left tilt 3HP Jet, and it's as good as any. They all have a flaw for precision work, and it's the fence. It's almost impossible to go back and EXACTLY duplicate a cut once you've moved on from the initial set-up. All the saws have similar fences, and they're the problem. Close, but not exact. I recently (two weeks ago) bought and installed an INCRA LS table saw fence, and it has been a revelation. Finally, repeatability. It's easy to install and sturdier than it looks. You can go back two weeks later and cut a piece to replace the one you screwed up, and have EXACTLY the same dimension. Plus cutting incremental stuff like mortices for shelves or box joints w/o a jig are a snap.
Buy a decent saw, and one of these fences, and you'll probably save money over a Laguna saw. (By the way, I have no connection to Incra other than as a satisfied customer).

Best, Jonathan

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
yonosey, welcome to the forum. Do you mind going to the Tool Review section and giving us a review of that Incra fence? I have seen it mentioned a few times but have not read a review. I need to retrofit my 1947 Oliver 270D with a fence and I am open to anything right now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yonosey,
I hear what you're saying.
I own the Incra "Ultra" jig, even wrote a review too :shifty:
(Figured I'd head ol' TexasTimbers off at the pass :laughing: )

Currently I have my router table attached to my table saw in place of the left wing, due more to space considerations than preference.

I have the Incra on a pseudo sled that fits in the miter slot on the saw. A couple of C clamps hold it in place while in use.
Occasionally I move it to the right miter slot and use it with the table saw, but only for music box size projects.

I also have the Incra miter sled, love it, very accurate and repeatable. The pair saved me an awful lot of cussing after my last goof.

Like Texas, I'd like to see a review of the Incra fence too. Actually, I'd like to see it and one on the Biesmeiyer (sp?).
Texas, can you crack the whip on that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts