Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is walnut sides with butternut shelves. The bottom shelves are reinforced with hickory; the top shelves (where the hickory reinforcement would be seen) are just for decorative items.

Please be critical; that is why I posted. I built it exactly as my wife directed, and I am not sure I like it. But I am hardly objective, so I want your opinion.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
If the missus is happy, what else really matters? I think they look fine. Nice job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice job. I like the simple lines.
Jim

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts

Please be critical; that is why I posted.
Fine, you asked for it:

That shelf is ugly, stupid, gross, deformed, dorky and it makes your butt look fat. :tt2:

See, what you've made me go and do? How dare you make me lie about your work! I'm no good at lying.

Actually, I think it looks nice. It's a refreshing change from the norm. I don't see anything wrong with the piece at all. In fact, I think it's pretty cool :thumbsup: Great work.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Is the wife happy with the shelves? If she is happy- congratulations!

·
where's my table saw?
27,870 Posts
Nice, elegant, light and airy looking

Most shelves look heavy, but but using progressively wider boards from top to bottom it not only make sense but gives it a lighter look, without a solid back.

My only suggestion is that the verticals ending at the top, look like they are "wanting" to support another shelf across the top. Your eye is carried up and off toward the ceiling, and would not be my choice in design. It needs to be "settled" in my opinion. Very nice job. :yes:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Very nice. I was thinking one more shelf too, but if it's fashioned after a ladder setting against the wall. Your finished. It always looks best to have the wider shelves and spaces bottom up.

Now if you want us to get picky. Post a close up. :)

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
very nice. new project idea for me!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
There are times when I'm so very happy with my small house. The wife can't beg me to make one because there is no place to put it. :laughing:

I like the looks of the shelves, but one should never mix green books with blue books in the same stack. :no:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nice build! I think it's awesome. The structure looks sturdy and the design is delightful. A beautiful work from a great man! Well done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts