Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a bar and since I'm a firefighter I thought it would be nice to take a bunch of patches from different departments and incorporate them into the bar top. The problem is that when I did a test with one of my patches the lacquer discolored the patch. Is there some trick to prevent this from happening? Also, it seems like it would take 20 or more coats to build up enough lacquer to cover the patches and give a smooth surface. Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I'm building a bar and since I'm a firefighter I thought it would be nice to take a bunch of patches from different departments and incorporate them into the bar top. The problem is that when I did a test with one of my patches the lacquer discolored the patch. Is there some trick to prevent this from happening? Also, it seems like it would take 20 or more coats to build up enough lacquer to cover the patches and give a smooth surface. Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
A two part epoxy pour on finish is what you're looking for. Check out this thread:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/bar-top-finish-18697/

·
Saw Dust Club Member
461 Posts
I made a plaque a while back where I routed out 1/4" deep circles to mount patches in and then covered with this 2-part stuff called tabletop epoxy. I poured over the patches, level with the facing of the wood. Initially it had a lot of small bubbles in it so I used my wife's hair drying on low heat and the bubbles pulled to the top and disappeared. I let it sit for about 24 hours and worked out great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking the 2 part pour is the way to go. I'll give it a trial run on a small piece of scrap wood with one of my department patches. It took me a long time to collect all those patches and would hate to mess them up in the process and have a finished product that I wouldn't be happy with.

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I get into building my bar so thanks for everyone who helps out amateurs like me. Great forum!!

Stuart

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
great idea a little extra i would use 3m spray glue for the patches to keep them in place and not flot

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
sorry also if the patches are cloth i would spray them lightly a couple of times with believe it or not hair spray that wil help keep the collers from bleeding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts