Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a plan from Ana White for a king size bed frame with this as the base:

It calls for pocket holes and 2 1/2" screws. I have a king size memory foam bed so it is very heavy. I want this to be as strong as possible. Would I be better off using Kreg joints or framing angles and a framing nailer to assemble the base?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Simpson A35 joining plates. The wood is the same height and you aren't hanging any of it. So joist hangers are the wrong thing to use.

Use the Simpson Screws. Unless you have driven lots of nails by hand, or have a framing nailer with the correct tip to drive the joint connector nails, you'll be lots better off using the screws.

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
I would put bottom rails on the two side pieces and notch out the cross pieces to sit on them, then anchor them in place by what ever means you wish, toe nails, pocket hole screws or screws in from sides since they will not be bearing any weight.

How wide are the side pieces by the way, will they hold the weight?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would put bottom rails on the two side pieces and notch out the cross pieces to sit on them, then anchor them in place by what ever means you wish, toe nails, pocket hole screws or screws in from sides since they will not be bearing any weight.

How wide are the side pieces by the way, will they hold the weight?
All 2x4. They are not the only load bearing. There will be feet underneath in the center as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also these are really the only two options. I do not have the tools to do any other kind of joinery at this point. I don't own a table router or table saw or any kind of biscuit jointer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.