Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New here and just wanted to ask a question about some stain issues. I purchased 3/4x6" spf beadboard to install on my laundry room ceiling. I used two coats of stain and two coats of clear coat and now the resin is showing up around the knots and it looks like some one walked across my ceiling with dirty feet. I've just learned that I should have conditioned the wood first thing but missed that step. I've tried stain pens, markers, mineral spirits, polishes and it won't go away. I used liquid nail and many nails so taking it down is my last option so do you think sanding these spots and conditioning them would work? I recently did the same thing on my half bath but used yellow pine (I think) bead board from Lowes and it turned out great. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated and I will get back on here soon and talk some woodworking stories.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not the guru on this but I think about the only thing that would seal those knots is shellac.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> I think about the only thing that would seal those knots is shellac.

That's correct. If you are using a oil based or waterborne poly clear finish, be sure to use a dewaxed shellac. Zinsser Seal Coat is a 100% dewaxed shellac.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
+1 with the Sealcoat. In the old days when people used a lot of knotty pine wall paneling the painters sealed the knots with shellac before applying varnish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts