Woodworking Talk banner

Kitchen table bench I just finished

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Travico 
#1 · (Edited)
The wife tasked me to build 2 benches for our table since the chairs we bought were really crappy. Off to the wood store.

I bought this times two (for 2 benches). I went with Ash because it's friggin hard and a little cheaper than Walnut.

I spent a day planing and jointing all of the lumber, and making a huge mess.

Then broke out the biscuit jointer to join the two planks for the top.

I forgot to take pictures of the glue-up but who really cares about that?

Cut one of the tenons for the legs

Sharpened up the ol' chisel on the Tormek before getting to work making the mortises.

Turned out perfect.

Perfectly square. This was also a great time to use my dovetail saw to cut the tenons on the lower support.

Now it's time for sanding.....A LOT of sanding...

After the sanding I went with a coat of wood conditioner. Something I'll never use again by the way. Even after hours of drying it still made it so almost no stain soaked into the wood. I usually don't have problems with blotching on hardwoods like Ash so I could have left this step out and saved myself a lot of hassle.

Wipe on...Wait..Wipe off...Get Angry....Repeat... Took nearly 5 coats of stain and 4 days to get the color I was looking for.

Finally brought it inside to make sure the color was right. Spot on, it actually holds up perfectly with no glue. Both myself and my wife sat on it and tried to rack it with little to no movement. Overall I'm really happy with it. I thought about running everything through the planer and starting over with the finishing but I stuck with it and it turned out pretty much exactly how I wanted. Now I have to build the second one heh.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.