Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on this kitchen island for someone. will have butcher block top when done and two drawers in the front maybe a lower shelf. Damn butcher block is not cheap.

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
harvest said:
Working on this kitchen island for someone. will have butcher block top when done and two drawers in the front maybe a lower shelf. Damn butcher block is not cheap.
Are you making the butcher block or buying it?

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
It looks good but you may have trouble with wood movement using solid wood on the sides and back. If the wood shrinks it is likely to split. It would have been safer to use plywood.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of going with soft close slides and buying the butcher block top. Planning on painting the cabinet and a finish for the butcher block top.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm thinking of going with soft close slides and buying the butcher block top. Planning on painting the cabinet and a finish for the butcher block top.
You will likely have to install some spacers or rails depending on whether the slides are bottom mount or side mount. Just a suggestion for the panels on the cabinet, the ends would look better with the grain being oriented vertically. Can't tell if the ends and back are solid wood or plywood. For the ends and back, plywood would be the best choice, as it's more stable and dos not have an expansion and contraction problem.

If the top will be used for any type of food preparation, using mineral oil is recommended.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was thinking under mount slides, this cabinet stuff is all new to me but would like to learn and do more. The sides and back are popler as I'll be painting it. I got a quote from Walzcraft for the drawers,slides and door fronts was like $269. Not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I should just stick to boat building lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts