Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering building 2 corner drawer base cabinets, face frame. I read on a commercial site that their corner drawer base requires a 3" filler strip on each side for the doors to function properly.

I do not understand why? Am I missing something?? Maybe frameless?
JIm

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
When there is a cabinet on one side of an inside corner (or both sides), that have drawers,you need room to open the drawers with enough clearance to clear drawer fronts, handles, or appliances adjacent to it. A 3" spacer is usually enough to set the drawer fronts over to clear those. That can be done with a wider face frame, or an add on spacer.

Planning can help winding up without a dead corner. If you have drawer units next to each other in a corner, you wind up with a dead corner in the back. If you have just one side with drawers, the adjacent side can be shelves, but with space left into the corner for some storage.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. This caught my attention, as I have a drawer (in the corner, but not a corner drawer) that almost hits the handle on the oven, I do not need to repete that!

Looking at the photos there are frameless corner cabinets with no spacer. In one corner I have no room for 3" fillers. I am thinking card board mock up, before I commit.

I looked over the options and right now the drawers seem right for our use. Plus they look like they would be fun to build.

Cabinet Man I see south Fl, are you on the Gulf or Atlantic side? Thanks JIm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts