Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've totally been slacking and still haven't finished my kitchen cabinets. I know about the standard stain and poly, but I love the look of an oil finish. Danish oil is definitely one of my favorite finishes. Unfortunately, I don't think it will hold up well in a kitchen. Is there a similar finish that will give it an oiled look but will provide enough protection for a kitchen? Oh, the wood is Alder.

·
Registered
27,740 Posts
The problem you would have with an oil finish isn't it holding up but hand prints on the door edges. An oil finish wouldn't prevent skin oils and dirty hands from staining the wood. If you really wanted a oil finish you could use tung oil and stop just short of building it to an emulsion. Then since it is water proof you could wash the hand prints off the doors. If you wish to put a protective coating on then perhaps you should use a conversion varnish and do it in a satin sheen. If you kept the finish thin it should look more like a oil finish. You could also use a satin cab acrylic lacquer. I would just stay away from polyurethanes for the look you want.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I've totally been slacking and still haven't finished my kitchen cabinets. I know about the standard stain and poly, but I love the look of an oil finish. Danish oil is definitely one of my favorite finishes. Unfortunately, I don't think it will hold up well in a kitchen. Is there a similar finish that will give it an oiled look but will provide enough protection for a kitchen? Oh, the wood is Alder.
"Danish Oil" is an oil/varnish/solvent mix. It finishes as a film (like lacquer does). It's similar to a straight wiping varnish, which is a varnish resin and a solvent, but without the oil ratio added.

Either makes for an easy wipe on finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.