Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
dont know how many cabinet doors you have made... you may try making some for the garage or basement, before tackling kitchen doors. try building a stoage cabinet or something, make them from pine...

your options for frame are basically cope and stick: ogee, round over, square, or amish(slight bevel?). the panels can be ply or solid, raised panel or flat. you can still go other directions but this is a start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kind of limited on solid panel options other than flat/raised. You could do reverse raised (looks like flat though), glass or mesh (pierced metal, brass screen, etc)

·
Registered
carpenter
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont know how many cabinet doors you have made... you may try making some for the garage or basement, before tackling kitchen doors. try building a stoage cabinet or something, make them from pine...

your options for frame are basically cope and stick: ogee, round over, square, or amish(slight bevel?). the panels can be ply or solid, raised panel or flat. you can still go other directions but this is a start.
Very good answer! Thank u
Kind of limited on solid panel options other than flat/raised. You could do reverse raised (looks like flat though), glass or mesh (pierced metal, brass screen, etc)
very good

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Finding some doors you like?

If you have cabinet supply shops local ,you might stop by and see if they offer literature on the different molding they offer.

Door is a door tI'll you start adding trim.
20210113_100539.jpg

·
Registered
carpenter
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look up "cabinet door applied trim"
Thanks everyone
Finding some doors you like?

If you have cabinet supply shops local ,you might stop by and see if they offer literature on the different molding they offer.

Door is a door tI'll you start adding trim.
View attachment 422597
i just made some doors,laminated pine, i’ll post s photo later, starting to move on me a bit, see what happens? Making some flate panels next wiyh pine styles and rails and 1/4” pine ply

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have the option for thicker doors, deeper struck profiles, beaded doors, mitered doors, applied panel mouldings, applied bolection moulding.. etc.

overlay or inset..

Lots of options

Hard to narrow down "different" for someone else.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I'm sure once Sherwood comes up with a "style" he likes the searches will become easier

Personally I like "mission" style doors and furniture, so the searches are easy for me..

·
Registered
carpenter
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure once Sherwood comes up with a "style" he likes the searches will become easier

Personally I like "mission" style doors and furniture, so the searches are easy for me..
Mission is nice!,arch at the top

·
Smart and Cool
2,004 Posts
When I embark on a project like this, I use Google and search images. I will then start saving some of those images in a folder. At some point I go through the folder and start looking at the images and see which ones strike a chord with me for the project. Sometimes I will take elements from different items and combine them.

There is a local cabinet company here that posts pics of their work daily on social media, they do really nice work, and are very current design wise, I save most of their images to use later... :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can do that
I use books on historical architecture. Overall design and panel design is one facet, proportion is equally important. Some like to design their doors and cabs close to the Golden Triangle. I have seen some classic kitchens where the upper rail on the top cabinets and the lower rail on the lower cabinets are slightly wider so when viewed at eye level they appear proportional, like looking down railroad tracks. Whatever floats your boat, there is no right or wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts