Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife would like new kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts ,she would like the doors and drawer fronts to be flat with a 1/2 inch round over. The current doors and fronts are flat with oak moulding on top and bottom and edge banding on the sides. I am not sure what the laminated material on the front and backs are . She would like the doors to have the same color of stain as the moulding that is on the tops and bottoms of the current doors and that would be a light oak. So my question is would 3/4 inch cabinet grade baltic birch plywood be a good choice and will it take stain well ? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice you can give me.

Bruce.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bruce,

No, If you want it to look the same as oak, you will need to use oak. It is my understanding and very limited experience staining Birch is that it will Bloch. I am sure there are others in here that will give you a better answer about staining Birch. I have only painted it. I have tested some stains on it and it looked bad. Even if the stain comes out, it will look different than the oak. It is not that much more for oak

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
My wife took me for lunch yesterday and we were sat at an oak table.
However, as had an oak moulding all way round guessed was in fact mdf with oak veneer. still looked good.
johnep

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim.
I will look into the oak veneer plywood thanks.

John thanks, I did not know they made MDF with a oak veneer thanks.

Bruce.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bruce

Let me direct you to my door manufacturer. Their site is www.sierracabinetdoors.com You can do a quote on line by selecting the style door you want as well as the material and size. If you want the oak look, you must use oak.

Ed

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Jim.
I will look into the oak veneer plywood thanks.

John thanks, I did not know they made MDF with a oak veneer thanks.

Bruce.
Yes they do make mdf veneered products. Don't like them but when they come in a package for commercial installation you don't get much choice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for your help.

Bruce.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A washcoat of shellac prior to the stain and finish will keep the birch from splotching and the color even between the different woods.

Just a thought

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only problem I see with staining the birch plywood is after rounding over the edges the stain probably wont work well on the exposed plies and glue. Am I wrong?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts