Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, so please take it easy on me! :sweatdrop:

To make a long and embarrassing story short, I recently bought a king bed frame for my California king mattress, which was purchased a year ago.

Both items were somewhat pricey, and neither can be returned at this point, nor do I want to return them. To clarify, a Cal king bed is 4 inches longer than a regular king, and is also 4 inches narrower. So my question is, can the side rails of the frame be extended to accommodate the extra length of my mattress? We were actually able to stuff the foundation and mattress into the frame as is, but it's not entirely stable and the mattress is a little squished :whistling2:

The side rails are single pieces of wood with metal pieces on each end that latch into the headboard and footboard. Now that I mention it, I wonder if an extension piece could be made to latch onto the side rail, and then latch onto the head/footboard...

Any ideas, other than buying the right size frame?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As additional information, I found a good picture of what the ends of the side rails look like. Granted, they are about twice the height and have 2 of the "hooks" that are shown, but otherwise they are similar.

Could an extension block be made to go on one end of each rail, essentially making the frame 4" longer?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Your best bet would be to just replace the rails with ones the correct length, and transfer the hardware over. If you want to extend the rails, you could half lap an extension (glued and screwed from the inside), and reinstall the hardware. But, I wouldn't just add 4". I would make the extension piece at least 12" so you can get a decent surface cut for the lap joint. So, you would need to cut the existing rail 8". Try to match up the new wood as best as possible.

Fig-211-Half-Lap-Scarf-Joint-for-Light-Timber.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
As additional information, I found a good picture of what the ends of the side rails look like. Granted, they are about twice the height and have 2 of the "hooks" that are shown, but otherwise they are similar.

Could an extension block be made to go on one end of each rail, essentially making the frame 4" longer?

We have a purchased trundle bed shown in the pictures. It uses the standard bed rails for two regular beds, but use the extra pieces to place the one bed above the other. That piece is 1 3/4" thick x 5" long x 6 1/2" tall. One side has the hooks like in your picture and the other side "accepts" the hooks. Maybe you can find the hooks and other pieces to make your own extensions.

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I like Civilian's solution for simplicity and C-Man's for aesthetics (though matching the wood could be tough). Rockler.com has lots of bed hardware.

Could you put the mattress on a standard steel frame, attach the head and foot boards to the steel frame and leave off the side rails? That would solve both your length and width problems.

Bill

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you're not a wood worker and you don't want to be a wood worker, I'd call a local shop and ask them to do the work. It might cost a little $$$ but it may end up a little nicer.

If you WANT to do this on your own, please keep posting. As long as you're asking questions, people on this forum will absolutely get back to you. This is an excellent forum to learn on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful replies!

I think we want to go the extension route, though it's the toughest solution. At the same time I think it will look the nicest and be the most sturdy approach.

Anyone know how to find a local professional that can do this type of work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course. I'm in the Lima, OH area.

I mean, I don't know of any "shops" that would do this sort of thing, but then I've never looked either. What am I looking for?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Of course. I'm in the Lima, OH area.

I mean, I don't know of any "shops" that would do this sort of thing, but then I've never looked either. What am I looking for?
A local cabinet shop would be a good start. On this forum we try to be helpful in guiding members to do their own work. For many reasons, that may not be possible, so we suggest other options.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Getting longer rails is simple. Either buy them or make according to instructions above.

Is the configuration of the headboard and foot board such that you can move the attach points for the rails inward by two inches on each side?

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts