Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first project which I decided to take pictures while building. The photos were made on cell-phone thus they are not so good. I'm using cherry. I'm gonna use Waterlox as finish.

I tried to avoid "white pieces" on table top so I had to do a few extra waste (I'm pretty sure I will find where to use them anyway).

Tomorrow I will glue legs and table bottom together. Also I think I'm gonna do "wipe off" dewaxed shellac as a based before applying Waterlox. I did a test and got blotchy spots on test piece

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent two hours in my workshop today. Glued everything together (legs, table bottom and top). Need to do light sanding and start applying finish.

Learned a lesson - tenons and mortise has to be done perfect to glue without noticeable gaps. Hopefully I will remember it in next time :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I finished the table today. Did a few mistakes that cost me sanding down one layer of the finish. And the table top still has finishing defects. But I've got an experience and now I know that I shouldn't do in next time.
Still need to build 4 chairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The table turned out great. Nice job! :thumbsup:

High gloss magnifies everything, but the imperfections are worse to you than anyone else.
Thanks.
It's not high-gloss finish. This is waterlox original (medium sheen). It turned glossy because I ended up putting 7 layers due to mistakes :laughing:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Additional photos. Everything is ready for final sanding and putting of prefinish (shellac and 2 coats of waterlox). After prefinish is done I will glue up the chairs and put final 2 coats of waterlox. Looks like I target my budget for the set is ~120$ without labor (Really depends if I would need to buy another quoter of waterlox) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Back to basics. Are your kids going to be allowed to use this pristine, mirror finished table?
My kids absolutely thrashed the table I made. I did not then and do not now care. They grew up and flew away to successful lives, careers and mates. I tossed it in the dump with the scars and brands of years of fun. Should have hung the table top on the wall.
Sorry. Empty nest crap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOL, yours looks really nice!! The one I built ended up being called the Plato table... You can't imagine how many wounds are on that table, but thats what I built it for :thumbsup:

Is that waterlox going to dry in the near future with 7 coats!!?? I remember using the stuff and didn't care for it as it smelled forever... I had used it for wood shelving in closets and it was in the garage airing out for weeks...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is that waterlox going to dry in the near future with 7 coats!!?? I remember using the stuff and didn't care for it as it smelled forever... I had used it for wood shelving in closets and it was in the garage airing out for weeks...
Should be. At least it stopped smelling already and I cannot leave fingernail marks on the table surface anymore. So I hope when I finish with chairs the table will be hard enough.

I have a magazine table that I built last year. My son was trying to scratch and beat many times. Of course he had some progress with it but the table is still being in good shape :) At some moment I will sand the finish down and put a new one (after my son will get older) :laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.